Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LolaLola

LolaLola

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

My computer crashed about 2 weeks ago and I'm slowly reloading everything, to try and get back to how our computer was originally working. I don't really know much about computers, so it's been a real task for me!

When I purchased the computer [18 months ago] they asked if the kids played alot of games and video files etc, and they recommended a different motherboard. The kids are now complaining that their games and avi files are running out of sync [avi files have voice running faster than video - I watched one and it seems to me that the video is running slower than the audio]

I've reinstalled Windows XP and Nero [they use to use Showtime to watch things] but I have two other disks that came with the computer - SiS Chipset Motherboard Utilities CD and GIGABYTE Tech. Graphics Accelerator Driver CD. Should I be installing these as well? Could this be why their games and videos are running out of sync and slow?

Thanks for any help.

Lola

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

Lola - before you install any software, you have to install all the drivers, load up these cds and you will be able to install drivers, otherwise system will crash.

In future, once windows xp is install, make sure you have all the original cds which came with your computer handy, and then you install the drivers.

Once that has done, you can then update windows xp.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:39 AM

I reccomend loading windows xp sp2 then only load the drivers needed to enable devices with problems in device manager

By examining the motherboard web support site, I see if there are any newer drivers available, I never use the motherboard cd unless it absolutely necessary, they are often out of date(drivers) or even pre windows xp sp2

I had that problem with an older mobo and never could get the ethernet driver to work, turns out xp sp2 had the driver and when I loaded the cd driver it ruined the load.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

Thats a good point.

I have never had any trouble using the original cd as i made sure it was not outdated, but it would be a good idea to get the latest drivers from the support website if you can.

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi, LolaLola.

Good points, folks ! Let me recap the proper install order:

1) Install/Restore Windows XP

2) Install the video card driver from the CD (this can keep you from going blind)

3) Install the motherboard drivers (need to get the Internet connection working)

4) Install SP2 if not already part of the Install/Restore in step 1).

5) Run Automatic Updates and install all the MS hotfixes.

6) Install your antivirus and firewall (only 1 of each)

7) Install all your applications.

Lola, I know you have already installed some applications. That's OK. Just go back to the beginning of the list above and do the steps that you haven't done yet (in order).

#6 LolaLola

LolaLola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

Thanks so much for this help! I've printed it all out and hopefully will have it ready by the time the kids get back today. I didn't even occur to me about updates for drivers. The step by step is really helpful. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks guys.
Lola

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

I'd suggest that SP2 should be installed immediately after installing Windows.

Do not use the drivers from the CD - if they are not SP2 compatible they may break the system.

Use another computer to download the drivers and copy them to a CD that you can use on the new installation. Ensure that you download the most recent drivers available for all your devices.

Install drivers in this order:
1) motherboard/chipset drivers
2) CPU drivers (if applicable)
2) drive controllers (if separate and not installed when first installing Windows)
3) video drivers
4) drivers for devices built into the motherboard
5) drivers for devices plugged into the motherboard inside the case
6) drivers for devices plugged into the outside ports on the case

Once all of that is done, the first place to visit online is Windows Update (with your Windows Firewall turned on). Immediately after that, install your antivirus and antispyware apps, update them, and run a complete system scan.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 LolaLola

LolaLola
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

It's all going fine now. A big thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. Have copied and saved all your posts in case it ever happens to me again.

About the kids .avi files being out of sync - I ended up downloading GSpot, which was able to tell me which codec was missing. Trouble was the codec only fixed Windows Media Player, and Showtimes still out of sync. But they're easily pleased and happy enough with that.

Thanks for all your help.

LolaLola

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:32 AM

download and install ffdshow to fix showtime and a lot of other things

stay away from codec packs, they are dangerous
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users