Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inserting A File In Word 2003

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gail Cregg

Gail Cregg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Using Word 2003 I am combining some Word docs. using Insert File. I want to keep the formatting/layout the same as in the doccument I'm inserting but it changes; sometimes making the file impossible to read. How do I do this?
Tanks,Gail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hi Gail,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you're combining them. Are you just adding one doc onto another, or are you integrating two docs? Are you using track changes?

What are you trying to accomplish?

#3 Gail Cregg

Gail Cregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

The aim is to have a single easily searchable Word document instead of the information spread across several files (I don't know what the person was thinking who originaly set this up!) with the layout the same as the document being inserted. Combining was probably a bad choice of words as really I'm just adding more pages to a document using Insert File eg:Insert File Word 2 becomes the second page of document Word 1. I'm not combing the content of Word 1 and 2 on a single page. In case this is still confusing here are the steps I'm using.

1.Create a new Word Doc.
2.Insert File Word 2.
3.Insert Page Break.
4.Insert File Word 3 and so on.

Hope this makes the problem clearer.Gail.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

I never used the insert command except for pictures, so probably can't help. But, the way I merge docs, often using totally different styles is
insert page break
start new section
in document to be merged I select all and copy all (edit/select all/copy)
in the destination document I paste
That seems to preserve all formatting including some complex styles.

Edited by tos226, 28 August 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#5 Gail Cregg

Gail Cregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

That would work if it was only a couple of documents but we have to do about 50 per document so cut and paste is way too time consuming.Thanks anyway,Gail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users