Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Or More Firewalls Running. Norman Problems.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Technisk

Technisk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:26 AM

I have had a lot of problems with a family computer, and have solved most of them. One stubborn Firewall issue is left to be solved.

There is no Firewall installed other than the Windows Firewall. The previously Norman Internet Control v5.9 has been uninstalled, files and folders with names Norton, Symantec and Norman have been deleted, also in the Registry by using the regedit command. There were some parts in the Register that I could not delete or remove.

The problem is that the Security Center is telling me I am using Norman Personal Firewall v. 1.4, but that software is not installed. If I turn ON the Windows Firewall I get: At least one of the firewalls installed on this computer is currently ON. And: Two or more firewalls running at the same time can conflict with each other. If I turn OFF the Windows Firewall the system tells me I am using the Norman PF.

Edited by Technisk, 28 August 2007 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:35 AM

Norman have an uninstall utility that you can download here. Try it and see if that helps your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

Hi Technisk.

As budapest as pointed out, make sure you run the Norton Uninstall utility, as Norton is like that annoying stalker, you just can't get rid of, unless you use some brute force!

Once that is done, if you are serious about internet security, the windows firewall is pretty basic and should be turned off, then you should install a proper software firewall, one of the best ones is comodo (which is free) http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

If you run a router, then that has a firewall built in, but these hardware firewalls won't block outgoing traffic, as they assume all traffic is legit, while a software firewall, when used with a router offers you protection from all angles (never 100%) but as good as.

#4 Technisk

Technisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:21 AM

Thank you for the fast reply. The DelNVC5.exe is giving me the following message: "Cannot find any Norman Virus Control installed".

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

Try reinstalling your Norman Internet Control and then run the removal tool.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Technisk

Technisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

I don't have the software CD. Have AVG Freeware installed, used together with Windows Firewall.

#7 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

Go to the norton website and download the trial version, the same version as the one you had installed.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

You should never run more than one firewall program at a time.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

Like Franky-99 says, try downloading and installing the trial version. However, you should install Norman Internet Control - not Norton.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Technisk

Technisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

What shall I do with the currently running AVG Freeware antivirus software, before installing Norman that do have both an antivirus and a firewall?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:58 AM

Don't uninstall AVG but you will need to disable it's real-time protection. I would follow this proceedure:

1. Download Norman (don't install yet).
2. Disconnect from the internet.
3. Turn off the Windows firewall and disable AVG.
4. Install Norman.
5. Run the uninstall tool.
6. Reboot
7. Turn the Windows firewall back on and re-enable AVG.
8. Connect back to the internet.

Hopefully (fingers-crossed) this will solve your problem.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Forgive me for that slip, Just now realised the OP was refering to Norman and not Norton!

#13 Technisk

Technisk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

Thank you all for your help. Installing and uninstalling solved my problem!

For all who may need it, the details about doing the last steps:

I installed Norman, but got an error message. Kind of problematic translating the message from the Norwegian error message, but it goes something like: Installation failed due to a component demanding immediate restart.

I was asked to (what to call it?) coordinate old routines with the newly installed program. Then run the undelete software. I then rechecked the Security Center, still being problematic.

So I restarted. Installed Norman once again, but this time I did not connect the installation to the old installation. I then uninstalled the Norman software, and rechecked the Security Center. First it showed me that the old problematic Norman Personal Firewall was still in use. Then, after a minute or so, it finally told me there where no firewall in use!

I am now using the Windows firewall and the AVG Free Edition for antivirus without the Security Center telling me I am using an antivirus software that is not installed.

I'm not sure if it was my first or second installation that did the work, or if I had waited the first time it would have been solved, but this is the first time the message in the Security Center is working correctly. And, yes, I have been waiting several minutes several times, in case the system needed some time to re-register the settings.

Thanks a lot. Case closed.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

I'm happy to hear it worked out.

The Windows firewall is not very good. It only checks incoming data, and as such is really only half a firewall. But not to worry, there are some very good free firewalls out there. Check the following thread for suggestions:

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Edited by Budapest, 28 August 2007 - 07:23 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users