Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encryption Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eggway

eggway

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:42 AM

i have a wireless router DL-524, what Key Mode (HEX or ASCII) is the best protection?? And what type of Security encryption (WEP to WAP2(AES) to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK) is the best?? How do i configure for the best type of encryption??

The laptop is a MAC book with window XP home OS, which i want to connect to my wireless access point. The encryption used before was WEP 128bit. Now, i want to increase the encryption to the best.

Someone told me that WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK was the best. so i change my encryption from WEP to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
The problem was that my mac book was able to connect to the access point but could not able to surf the internet.

Can u help me please. Thankz...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:59 AM

WEP is the worst form of Encryption (apart from none at all), and the most secure is WPA2-PSK, but the majority of people will use WPA-PSK (which is still very secure).

If you are concerned about security then make sure you use a long key, get one from here https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

As for not connecting to the internet, are you 100% sure your ISP settings are entered correctly? and have you checked the basics like your firewall?

#3 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

i mean is that my desktop could surf the internet. cos it was connect by LAN cable.

The problem is that my mac book cant surf the net when my wireless use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
the mac book can only surf the net with WEP 128bit.

how do i configure my mac book to use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encrption??
The mac book is with window xp home OS.

#4 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:40 AM

When you changed your Encryption to WPA- PSK, have you changed it via your router, as well as the wireless management settings on your mac?

#5 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:47 AM

yes, i did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users