Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory .. Is This Enough?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:35 AM

I have to admit this before I go any further .. I have had this computer for about a year now.
It is the first one that I have ever owned.
Before that, the only thing that I have owned that even resembled a pc was a Webtv and I had that for seven years.
After admitting that, I must now admit that I MUST be a Dumb A$$!

I have No Clue as to what random or Virtual memory is.

My question is: I have this Gateway Media Center pc built upon the XP Pro that has 512 mb's of memory times 2.
What does that mean?
Is that enough memory?
If it isn't, what would you suggest as far as adding more?

Please forgive my lack of understanding.
Most of you, I am sure are those young folks who cut their teeth on these new fangled electronic things.
Me?
I'm one of those old geezers that you hear about that can't even figure out how to work the cell phone that my daughter bought me .. A Year Ago! LOL
Yes, I know .. Pathetic.

Thank You for your help.
Mc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

Virtual Memory

512 mb's of memory times 2 = 1 gigabyte of memory (RAM)

What are you using your computer for?
That will determine if you have enough RAM, or not.

If you do a lot of heavy video editing, 3D graphics work, or gaming, you might consider getting more, but if you just use your computer for basic internet surfing, light photo editing, and E-mail, you have plenty.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:01 AM

Mr tg1911,
Thank You!!
So THAT is what a gigabyte is.
512 mb's x 2

I download or stream? stuff like old movies or tv shows sometimes.
I also listen to radio .. Alot.

The movies and tv shows are what worry me?

Again: Thank You so much for your help.

Mc

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:08 AM

You're quite welcome, MrClose.
The amount of RAM you have, should be sufficient for your purposes.

Why did you ask?
Are you having any problems that we can help you with, or just curious? :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

A computer has a finite amount of "resources". Resources are the things that a computer uses to do it's job. A problem occurs when one of the resources can't handle the load that's put on it in a manner that's acceptable to you. For example, if a program needs to read your hard drive (a resource), it may appear that the computer has slowed down - and that's usually because it's much slower to read something from the hard drive than it is to read it from the RAM (another resource).

But each of the resources has it's own limitations - and here we try and figure out what resources will be stressed by your computer use. For example, if you want to play the latest game - a good video card is a necessity (and is another resource). If a program uses your CPU (another resource) intensively, then it's prudent to upgrade the CPU (if possible). The most common resource that folks talk about is RAM - and that's because it's one of the most common areas that "bottlenecks" occur - but that doesn't mean that adding more RAM will fix all problems, just problems that are caused by an inadequate amount of RAM.

Virtual memory confuses the issue somewhat - because it acts like RAM, but it's on your hard disk - which is much slower than "real" RAM. Hence there's a performance hit when using Virtual memory (but that leads into a long, technical discussion about virtual memory optimization that usually causes people's eyes to glaze over! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

This is the best forum and the folks here are great!
I don't get laughed at or ridiculed like I do at some of the other places where I have asked similar questions.
I am just an old man who is trying his best to understand this computer that was bought for me by my daughter.
I Know that I will never know everything that a lot of the young folks do but .. I do know that I will continue to try.

I have not had a lot of problems with this thing, (pc) but I have seen so much dealing with this memory stuff lately that I just had to wonder if what I had was sufficient for what I want to do.

Once again .. Thank You usasma and tg1911 for your help.
You are the Best!

Mc

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

We all remember what is was like to be newbies, and what it was like in the beginning, to have to ask for help.
You don't ever need to worry about getting laughed at, or ridiculed, on this site.
We have a lot of very friendly, and knowledgeable people here, just waiting to help.

I Know that I will never know everything that a lot of the young folks do but .. I do know that I will continue to try.

While we do have a lot of younger members, we're not all, "young folks".
You'll find a lot of our members are in the 50+ age group, including myself. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, MrClose, and if you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

#8 croftonbill

croftonbill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

hi all.i am another old geezer trying to keep up with the times.i have a similar question as mr close.i frequently open other programs while downloading,and notice the speed of my download is reduced.i have also worried about the amount of ram,and also the type of ram?i have 512mb.of ram and wonder if multitasking rquires more ram?hope some kind person can advise.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

512 is the minimum I would use. I feel comfortable with a Gig. If you want you can go to a site like Crucial.com There you can use their Memory Selector. Type in the make and model of your computer and you will tell you what will work, How much will fit, etc. Plus it's guaranteed
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

MrClose - This is the "true spirit of the online community". It's how I learned about computers and it's my way of paying the community back for that knowledge and assistance.

croftonbill - Generally it's considered good form to post your questions in a separate topic. Downloads work, as I described above, by using resources. The fewer resources that are available, the slower things will work. Multitasking may affect it, but multiple downloads/internet usage will definitely slow you down. 512 mB of RAM is (IMO) the minimum for a mature XP installation (one that's been running for a year or more). A gigabyte of RAM (2 - 512 mB's = 1 gB) will improve your performance.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users