Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kore

Kore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:02 AM

Ok I recently got a bunch of new parts for my computer GPU/CPU ect. Now since then as always when I do this sort of thing something has tripped over itself and caused me some headaches.

My backup Western Digital 37 GB Raptor Drive is not showing up in My Computer, and when I go to disk manager it tells me it's Dynamic and Unreadable. I've tried all sorts of remedies that have done nothing, and all sorts of HDD recovery programs which only end up asking me to cough up 80 bucks to recover my important files so that I can format the drive back to basic or something that WORKS.

So I'm totally lost here - need some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Is there a reason for this disk being a Dynamic disk? Or is this something that occurred without your knowledge?

Since I haven't used dynamic disks I'll have to presume that data recovery is similar to basic disks - but don't let it surprise you if some of this just doesn't work.

Try the free PCInspector ( http://www.pcinspector.de ) to see if anything is recoverable. If it is, then recover everything that you can with it. If the program is too technical for your use, I'm afraid that the only suggestion that I've got would be one of the $80 solutions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

I've tried all sorts of remedies that have done nothing, and all sorts of HDD recovery programs

Feel free to post what specific steps you have tried.

Have you tried re-scanning the disk?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...k.mspx?mfr=true

Does anything different happen when you boot into safe mode?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 insanlyxjay

insanlyxjay

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

Is there a reason for this disk being a Dynamic disk? Or is this something that occurred without your knowledge?

Since I haven't used dynamic disks I'll have to presume that data recovery is similar to basic disks - but don't let it surprise you if some of this just doesn't work.

Try the free PCInspector ( http://www.pcinspector.de ) to see if anything is recoverable. If it is, then recover everything that you can with it. If the program is too technical for your use, I'm afraid that the only suggestion that I've got would be one of the $80 solutions.

THIS ISNT THE SAME...BUT CAN YOU HELP ME...HERE GOES!!!

I was forum searching for a good idea on how to fix my drive formatting problem...cant format gets 2 99% says cant format drive...cant read it with anything picks up when i first put it in when i mess with it (software wise) then sometimes it dispaeers from my computer (just file). but i used a program called file scavenger and i found loads of files..

i want to slave this drive.....
SPECS...
dell demi 2350
xp pro.
55gigs..............

slave: 80gigs...western digi..
slaved to cd dvd writer/player.
cable selected........

this is what i know....If anyone can help me with getting this thing afficially checked out with somekind of software. then that would be great.....i have used a couple softwares to format and fix sectors....Spinrite - killdisk - fdisk- xp fresh install cd

all but spin gives disk error....spinrite when booted to 80gig alone wouldnt even pick it up. but spin did work on my other drive so i know it is a good burn i did of it......

I have been working on this for a few days now and im getting a little terked someon plz help.....

thanks

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

insanlyxjay - please post your request as a New Topic so that we can devote the proper amount of attention to it. It's difficult to focus on 2 problems in the same thread, and may cause some mistakes to be made (which can make the problem worse).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users