Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Config File

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spacekitten

spacekitten

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

2 years ago, my HP desktop became infected and I did my best to rectify the issues. I did so much research and reading, not only did I go cross-eyed :flowers:, I ran into so many conflicting ideas about, well, everything! It was very confusing for a self-proclaimed tech-tard like myself.

I had installed the right anti-virus and cleaners. (I know this because they are the same ones listed here at BC. :thumbsup: ) I had learned a little about cleaning up the nasty little left behind bits. But, after getting a small taste of what made this little box work, I thought I would go browsing in places I had no right to be.

And where were the computer police then, I ask you?? A crime against technology was about to ensue, and arrests should have been made.

After some misleading information, or possibly a sheer lack of understanding and stupidity, I did what any savvy user does...

I deleted the Windows Config File. The whole lot of it. POOF. Bye Bye.

I thought about posting this in the "jokes" thread, because every time I think about it, I get the rotflmao's so bad I break an arm.
If YOU even get the smallest of chuckles out of this, it was worth it.

Ah, learning by failing.
Failing and still laughing at yourself.
If I say 'priceless' will you throw tomatoes at me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:45 AM

It sounds like you were trying to teach your puter to roll over and play dead...and it worked! :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

We don't need no steenkin' config file!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 spacekitten

spacekitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

Who knew the importance of Windows Config! *shrug, smirk* LOL!

It is something I will never forget! And it is the one file I know exactly what it does. Now.

I only hope I don't have to delete every file to figure out what it does! hehee.

I love to tell this story. It's a classic blunder.

Glad you two had a giggle!

#5 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

I once decided to delete the entire system32 folder on a computer that I was planning on imaging.

It was quite comical! Of course, alot of the files wouldn't delete, but the fireworks that resulted from my command of del c:\windows\system32\*.* was pretty hilarious to sit and watch.

Then I tried to reboot just to see if it might come back up.

haha... you guessed it.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

I could tell you a lot of stories about my self-inflicted computer problems...but most people think I'm flaky enough without those incidents getting out.... :thumbsup:

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

On a more serious note, can someone please describe to me how to delete this nasty little thing on my computer.
I believe the file says explorer.exe which appears to be a nasty virus. Does anyone else have that file on their computer?

PS. DON'T DELETE THAT FILE It's kinda important.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

On a more serious note, can someone please describe to me how to delete this nasty little thing on my computer.
I believe the file says explorer.exe which appears to be a nasty virus. Does anyone else have that file on their computer?

You're in luck! There just so happens to be an anti-viral tool designed specifically for this bit of malware! You can get it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users