Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue7

Rogue7

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

I am trying to get new computer and have been "out of the loop" for quite some time with the lastest computer "stuff" and I'm hoping i can get some help figuring out if the items i have chosen are compatible with eachother and/or if there are better items for about the same costs. (I'm under a bit of a budget)

Most, if not all the stuff I look at comes from newegg.com. Here is the items is have chosen thus far...

Mobo- ASUS M2R32-MVP Socket AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard -- about $118

Video card- MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 OC Edition HDMI HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card -- this is about $165; the same card but only w/ 256mb of memory is $30 less... dont know if that would be a better way to go to save a little bit money???

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor -- $170

Memory- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory -- $99

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM -- $70

CD/DVD rom- SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM -- $34 (i saw a LITE-ON drive with the same specs for aobut the same price, but it seemed have worse reviews that this one did)

Sound card- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card -- $91

OS- Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM -- $115

well thats about it...hopefully i can get some good feed back so i can get this stuff soon a have a great computer to game with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:13 AM

not bad at all the mobo of what I read doesn't look too bad, this is the mobo I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131593 I like it alot but little bit pricier, I have the same cpu and I love it, I have had no problems at all with it runs tons of apps. at once no problem! the stock heat sink and fan work very well, Now I have 64 bit Vista also it's not much different from 32, except it uses more RAM but with 2gb you will be fine just know not all programs will be 100% compatible with the 64 version, but most programs work, have had only certain programs not work, but they weren't important. Now your cd drive is only $34? All in all it looks like a good computer if you do however want to run games upgrade your card (for high end graphics) what about your case? and power supply?

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

Get a better card! If your using American money, your getting ripped off. I'd suggest a 7900GS or a x1950GT
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Rogue7

Rogue7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

xx66stangxx,

What would you suggest as a higher end video card for about the smae price as the one i have listed (I prefer radeon cards)??. I want to be able to us directx 10 and game at a godd res and speed etc. Thanks for the comments. I haven't gotten the case or power supply but i will have about 550 watts or so in it and 120mm fans. i have a few different cases on mind and they will all run about $80-$90 when i add the power supply.

#5 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

well the thing is, if you aren't going to be doing much gaming there is no need to get a higher end card, are you going to be doing much gaming?

#6 oldgoatherder

oldgoatherder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

Rogue7, after looking over your list, I noticed that you picked a sound blaster card. You said that you were on a budget, so you could use the built in sound on the mother board and skip that expense.

I was steered away from windows xp 64 bit verson last year when I built a new computer. They didn't say don't use the 64 bit operating system, they just told me to go to the component manufactures web sites and make sure there was a compatible driver. I suggest you do that too.

It would help if you could tell use what the goals are for this computer... May be what programs you like to use.

#7 Rogue7

Rogue7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:34 AM

thanks fo rthe info guys. im planning on doing mostly gaming, watching videos and listening to music. when i said i was on a budget it was some what of a budget compared to the stuff i want and the money i will get from my paycheck. i wanted the best of the best but have to step it down a little if you know what i mean. so, yeah, my comp is going to be mostly for gaming but i will also us it for school. agian thanks for the info.

#8 Rogue7

Rogue7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:47 AM

i check to see if the compents for comp have drivers for the 64bit version of windows vista and they all check out!!!!

#9 oldgoatherder

oldgoatherder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

I still recommend that you initially skip the expensive Sound Blaster card and use that money to for a better speaker system. I have been using the Asus onboard sound for the last several computers; they seem to be ok once you install the latest drivers and software patches. The reason that I suggest upgrading the speakers is that my peripherals, (Speakers, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse) seem to out last the CPUs by 3 or 4 generations.

I like Antec power supplies; the last one has a single 120 mm fan and is super quiet. I purchased a Xion case then just bought the Antec power supply to put in it. I am sure glad that I did, because I had to install the Xion power supply in my office computer last week when it went out. Man is it loud!

I defiantly agree with you decision to pick a case with 120 mm fans, they are so much quieter. Make sure you have at least USB ports in the front of the case.

I am not an expert on the video card but it seems to match the motherboard just fine, but get the one with 512mb of memory, that way you wont have any regrets...

#10 Rogue7

Rogue7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

thanks, i actually have a 5.1 sounds system that is technicaly mine and my bro isnt using it (he uses headphones all the time) so im gonna use that. i switched my the car di have listed for the same version but with 512mb. my case is gonna have space for about 3 or 4 120mm fans. thank you agian for the help. this has helped me make my decisions easier.

#11 Rogue7

Rogue7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:01 PM

well, i think im ready to buy my comp. thanks for the help guys. if i have any install problems i'll definitely come back to get help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users