Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.Spybot.worm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gochoo2

Gochoo2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have a file that is infected with this virus. The Symantec website says to delete the infected file but Norton can't delete it. I also can't delete it on my own. Any ideas ? Do I need to re-format my drive ?

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 January 2006 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robinofnotts

robinofnotts

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

The reason you can't delete it will be because it is "in use".

I don't use Norton myself, is it possible to set it to run on startup before windows starts up? Because then it could delete it.
Failing that running windows in safe mode and then deleting it yourself, and failing that try just running windows in command mode and deleting it on the command line.

Alternatively you could try shutting down the process that is using the file and then deleting it, but if you don't know which process that is this is probably impossible.

Hope this helps.
Robin

#3 oldfaithful73

oldfaithful73

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

I have a similar problem, Norton says to delete the file but the infected file is Windows system.exe, so I can't delete it, or can I.

Some of the fixes say boot in Safe mode, save the Registry, but since the infected file is system.exe, I suspect I will have to boot from the XP operating system disk and reinstall on the Hard Drive.

Question: Will I have to totally reformat the Hard Drive or will reinstalling the OS on top of the existing Hard Drive OS fix the problem?

Need to know how to proceed.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

I found a procedure on Experts-Exchange but you will need to get yourself an account. That account s/b free and no trouble to get it. The link to the procedure is as follows"

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Viruses/Q_20777095.html

It is a long one and seems to explain every detail pretty good.

cya l8r

ThorXP

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

This link should help. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...pybot.worm.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users