Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

I am in the process of building a computer and i am ready to turn it on and enter the BIOS. I hit the power button and the fan spins or a few seconds then shuts off and does nothing. All lights turn on also. Any help would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

Make certain all of your cards, CPU, RAM, and data/power connections are seated firmly in the motherboard. If that doesn't help, clear out the BIOS settings, either by setting the CMOS reset jumper or pulling out the battery for a minute or so.
Posted Image

#3 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

i have already tried both of those and neither works.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Try remove everything and running it on the tabletop, out of the case. Start with just the minimum and keep adding back. You might possibly be shorting out on the case
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

Is that possible since i am using the same case that i used in my previous computer?

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

If your motherboard has a square AUX 4-pin power connection, make sure that's plugged in. If the video card requires a power connection, make sure that's plugged in too. Another mistake some people make is they don't use the spacer mounts when they screw in the motherboard, so it's flat against the side of the case and shorts out all of the solder points on the backside of the motherboard.
Posted Image

#7 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

i checked and double-checked all connections and made sure i used the spacers. Still dont work

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

You likely have a faulty component somewhere, then. So you'll want to try and do a process of elimination as much as you possibly can. Try disconnecting as much hardware as possible while still allowing the computer enough system essentials to run (RAM, CPU, Power, Video).
If you have more than one RAM stick, try booting with only one or the other. Try booting without any RAM installed, a good motherboard should give you an error beep if it's missing RAM. Likewise for the video card (if the motherboard doesn't have on-board video, that is).
Usually a non-beep on no system RAM is an accurate indication of a faulty motherboard.
Posted Image

#9 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

I am not getting any beeps on anything. The first time i turned it on i listened for the beeps and there were none. I rechecked my connections for the speaker and it was right. Im assuming this means i have a faulty mobo?

#10 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hi shortyman. There are 2 general possibilities.
1) The CPU cooler (heatsink+fan) is not properly seated and the BIOS is detecting an over-temp condition and turning off the power supply. Carefully reseat the cooler to test it.

2) Your power supply has detected a short in one of its outputs and is doing an emergency power-off to avoid any system damage. To determine what is causing the problem remove all components, one-by-one, untill the power supply does not turn itself off. Of course, the system may not be able to boot or even the BIOS to start running (depending on what has been removed), but you should be able to locate the bad component. Do NOT remove the fans cables ! You need it/them to indicate when the power is not being shut off.

Pieces-parts to remove (one-by-one):
Video card
RAM modules (if more than one, then one-by-one)
Hard drive power & data cable
Optical drive power & data cable
Floppy drive power & data cable
All other plug-in cards (one-by-one) such as a wireless adapter.
The CPU
Fans (one must be connected at all times so you can see if it spins or not)

If the fans stiil are being turned off it could only be 3 devices that could be causing the short:
1) The motherboard - I have come across motherboards that have shorted themselves to death (all by themself).
2) The power supply itself.

Al the components can be tested by putting them in another "known working" system. The motherboard can't really be tested, but if nothing but the power supply and the fans are attached to it and the fans are still shutting off, then it MUST be the motherboard.

Edited by WinCrazy, 29 August 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#11 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

thanks for the help! i will try this

#12 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

Hello there everyone.

I used to build machines for HP in Omaha while they still had their plant here. I didn't do much pre-testing, but every now and again, this problem would occur. The previous posts are the best, and most common, way to solve the problem and I suggest working those first. I would just like to add that sometimes, after all else had failed, we would unseat the processor and check for bent pins. Bent pins will cause all sorts of random problems, from green displays to not booting at all. I would like to emphasize the necessity of observing static protection procedures while doing this. At the plant we wore wrist grounders AND heal straps when touching the inside of the machines. I would also like to emphasize that this should should be done as a last resort, as the potential for seriously and permanently damaging your machine is high. As far as fixing a bent pin, that's up to you. You could try sending it back to the manufacturer and hoping they'll except it back, or you could try fixing it yourself (NOT RECOMMENDED). Please keep in mind that the pins, if I remember correctly, are made of gold, which is soft, bend easily, and could break. We were simply able to send them back the parts dept. and get a replacement. As to how they dealt with the problem, well that's a mystery as far as I'm concerned!

drunkle
"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users