Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Space On Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

i dont know how this is going to sound, but here it goes.

i have an 80 gig hd. i know the os takes up a few gigs (9 i think) (xp home). i read that i have 18 gigs free. i really dont think i have 62 gigs of stuff on my computer. is there a way i can see hidden files or do something? i have 10 gigs of music that i know about on my computer. could there be copies of music hidden somewhere so i can go and delete them?
im just trying to delete stuff so i will have more room on my HD....

thank you for the help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

SequoiaView will give you a visual representation of what files are taking up space, on your drive.

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2007 - 02:06 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 xaeroevo

xaeroevo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

i think when u press the delete button, u actually send the files to c:/recycler.. which is hidden.. normally when i wanna delete stuff, i'll sherd them with "AxCrypt"... (freeware..) never gave me any problems.. you should also make it a habit to make data backups of your stuff to prevent things like this from happening.. l burn off gigs of data every month from my HD and shred the data off my HD after burning them..

i used to have problems like that when i do lots of DVD back-ups.. when i copy 9.6GB of data to my HD, and delelete them, i check my HD space and it indicated that i only deleted like around 8.9GB .. what happened to the rest??? and over time.. i had to reformat my PC.. :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Some of the space is being taken by other applications. Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel will show you what additional apps you have on your hard drive: CD burners, Java, IMs, games, etc., all can take up a surprising amount of space. You can remove from there anything you really don't use or need.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

i think when u press the delete button, u actually send the files to c:/recycler.. which is hidden.. normally when i wanna delete stuff, i'll sherd them with "AxCrypt"... (freeware..) never gave me any problems.. you should also make it a habit to make data backups of your stuff to prevent things like this from happening.. l burn off gigs of data every month from my HD and shred the data off my HD after burning them..

i used to have problems like that when i do lots of DVD back-ups.. when i copy 9.6GB of data to my HD, and delelete them, i check my HD space and it indicated that i only deleted like around 8.9GB .. what happened to the rest??? and over time.. i had to reformat my PC.. :thumbsup:

thanks. how would i get to "c:/recycler.. which is hidden"

Some of the space is being taken by other applications. Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel will show you what additional apps you have on your hard drive: CD burners, Java, IMs, games, etc., all can take up a surprising amount of space. You can remove from there anything you really don't use or need.
Cheers,
John

thanks, i already did that.

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

SequoiaView will give you a visual representation of what files are taking up space, on your drive.

ok i used that and i have a few questions.
i noticed a few blocks that were taking up a lot of space on my hard drive. i deleted some of them, but some i wasnt so sure about.
C:\ERATSWD.TMPIj7n60175.ANE takes up a lot of space, but i dont know what it is so i didnt want to delete it. does anyone know what this is?

another one that takes up a lot of space is-

C:\SAW\video_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB same as above i dont know what it is so i didnt delete it. does anyone know what it is?

thanks guys

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

you have been messing with video, it's easy to lose a lot of space, those vob files are usually a gig apeice

nero vision, if it crashes or is cancelled can leave 4 gigs of temp files
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

C:\SAW\video_TS\VTS_01_6.VOB appears to be a dvd video file, I'm guessing for the movie SAW. That in mind, it wouldnt be a critical file, and you could delete it. I would make a backup of it first, if a ) you have a dvd burner and b ) the filesize can fit on a dvd and c ) you don't already have it on dvd.

The other file, I cant say. are you up to date with virus definitions, and have you scanned your pc lately?

Here are a few other things that might help, if you havent tried them already:

In internet explorer, go to tools->internet options. from there you can delete temporary internet files (for IE7 its called "browsing history"). I wouldnt worry about deleting cookies or passwords, they shouldnt take up too much space.

Click start->run. type %temp% in the textbox. This is the system variable for the location of temp files, which can get quite large if not emptied once in a while. See if you can delete some of these files (assuming you are not installing or updating anything at the moment). It might help to be in safe mode when doing this.

Run disk cleanup. In explorer, right click on the hard drive, and select properties - from there you should see a [disk cleanup] button, which you click and follow the instructions. This will help you choose some stuff to delete as well. If you're not sure if its ok to delete, post here or ignore.

Visit system restore . How much space is that taking up? How many restore points do you have, and how many do you need? Bear in mind it always a good idea to have at least one restore point, preferably a most recent one. You could turn off system restore, then turn it back on and create a new restore point. Just something to consider.

When you've finished your deletions (including any other files you might have found), empty the recycle bin.

See if you can remove some optional windows components. As I recall you can access this from the add / remove programs screen.

Lastly, see if you need to do a disk defragment. Its another option in the hard drive properties dialog, just like disk cleanup. It should give you an option to analyze, which you select. Then it should advise you whether or not you need it. If so, then its worth it, as it helps improve overall hard drive performance. Bear in mind that this step can take quite a while to complete, often a few hours at least.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

thank you
when i went to disk clean up there were a list of options with check boxes. one of the options was "compress old files" and if i were to check that box i would get 9,179,154k. do i check that box?

thank you again

#10 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

I've never used compression myself, and have heard advice against it (I dont remember exactly why). You may want to avoid this option, if possible.

[edit]
Ok, here's an article on it:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2...ile-compression

Personally, I would see if larger files can be compressed manually (but only files that you created yourself).

Edited by jhsmurray, 29 August 2007 - 01:25 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users