Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background Programs Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi,
I have recently installed Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on my computer. The computer is only one year old and is running xp. When I first started the game I noticed that it seemed as though it was playing in slow motion. I called tech support for the game and the rep had me go into task master to see what processes were running. I had 62 of them!!

He said this was way too many processes going on and suggested shutting down some of them that were not required to run windows. He said that windows required about 22 programs to run and all the others were not neccessary. He could not tell me which ones to stop though.

All I want to do is to have the game play at normal speed. If I am not connected to the internet could I not disable my Firewall, antivirus and spyware sweeper and be completly safe? What else can I safely shut down, how do I find out what programs are not required?

Will any of this do any good? A salesman at BestBuy said perhaps I needed a new video card to have the game work properly. I question this because the computer is relatively new I would have thought the video card would have been adequate.

Any Suggestions?--Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

At the top of this page you'll see a tab labeled Startup List.
Use it to check out the programs you have running, in your Task Manager.
It will tell you which ones are necessary, and which ones you can disable.
If you have any problems with any of them, just post back to this topic with a list of the ones you're not sure about.

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2007 - 12:16 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

Before spending any money, I would certainly try reducing the background interference with the game play. To answer your question, yes you can turn off your AV and firewall if you are not on-line---just be extremely careful to be sure they are working when you do use the Internet again.
TG1911's advice to use our Startup database will let you know what other applications you can reasonably and safely delete.
If you have not run checkdisk (scandisk), disk cleanup, and then defragmented your hard drive recently, this might also help.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 August 2007 - 09:03 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have done the disc cleanup and defrag proceedure. I'm not familliar with checkdisk (scandisk) though.

I have downloaded autoruns and see so many programs that I am completley in the dark about that it is very daunting. I would like to be able to print out the list so that I can refer to a hard copy to study and look up the items from the start up list and check them off as I study them. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

#5 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

from start/run/msconfig /click ok

uncheck the programs you want in start -up tab
dont uncheck your firewall and antivirus

restart your computer