Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Add-ons Showing As Disabled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

i've been trying to solve a problem with Internet Explorer add-ons for a friend... he is running XP Home sp2, has the latest version of IE, and all the updates... for some reason when he opens IE it says he's running with add-ons disabled... i have done everything i could think of to enable the add-ons but when i go to Tools and Manage add-ons, it shows the add-ons as enabled... there isn't one add-on listed as disabled... so i don't know if the add-ons are really disabled or enabled...

his computer account is the main account, and there is one other account for his sons... when i logoff his and change to the other account and bring up IE, everything is fine there... no add-on problem...

i don't know if it's related to the problem or not, but i just cleaned up his computer from a really bad bout with one of those trojans where it has the fake virus warnings that keep popping up saying there are viruses, trojans, and spyware installed... i did a good clean up of that, including the registry so i'm not sure if that might be related to the add-on problem... the programs that have been run and show the computer as clean now are: CCleaner, Registry First Aid, a-squared, Rogue Remover, AVG, and AdAware...

i have also reinstalled IE...

everything else on the computer is running fine... hope someone can help me (and him)...
thanks!
GeeNeeRee
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Hi geeneeree,

Try going to Internet Options/ Advanced/ Browsing.
Verify that Enable third-party browser extensions is checked.

Does the problem still occur if you start IE7 from Start/ Run/ iexplore.exe instead of using the IE shortcut?

If you uninstall/reinstall IE7, first read Known Issues, Installation and Troubleshooting Advice
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 geeneeree

geeneeree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

wow, after working on that problem for months, i got it fixed, thanks to you, TMack! i checked the Internet Options and that was ok... then i did a Run on iexplore.exe and it opened IE normally without any add-on error messages... so i deleted the shortcut that i had used before, opened IE with the shortcut in the Start up menu, and it was ok again... i did the downloads required by IE and i guess i'm fixed!

thanks so much for the info!

GeeNeeRee
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

Good to hear you've sorted out the problem geeneeree. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner