Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build Suddenly Will Not Turn On

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hapnoise

hapnoise

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I assembled a computer this past Friday. The first time I turned the computer on it worked perfectly, and I installed Win XP Pro.

On Sunday I installed all my other programs. Everything went in no problem. I then powered down my system.

I turn it on about 12 hours later, and the computer will not turn on. Totally dead. I check all connections, outlet, and nothing. I assume it must be the PSU. I install a new one, and it still will not work. With the new PSU I hear a very slight buzzing from the CPU (I think). It's very quiet, and I can only hear this because the case is open.

I took the entire computer apart, and put it back together. Still nothing.(That buzz is there a little) Could the processor be burnt out. I have not even run any programs yet.

Specs:
450w PSU
3.0 ghz CPU
512 mb Video Card
2gb ram

I really appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thank you very much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:57 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I think its your motherboard. My friend had a new build too that worked, and the next morning it was dead and wouldn't turn back on. He returned the motherboard and it's worked fine since.

To be sure look around the motherboard to see if any little capacitors look bent or are leaking electrolytes (gooey looking fluid) out of the bottom. Even if you don't find any I still believe your motherboard went bad.

If a new motherboard doesn't solve your problem then it would have to be your processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 hapnoise

hapnoise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

I'm putting a new motherboard in. I assume that is the problem. If it is the processor would it be burnt or anything?
If it is the motherboard, is there something that could have caused it, or does that sometimes just happen. Could a bad psu cause the motherboard to fry?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users