Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless Boot Up Loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 insert_adjective

insert_adjective

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

All right, in an attempt at reinstalling XP over my current XP installation has gone horribly wrong. I was having some problems getting Windows up, and could only boot in safe mode. So I toyed with msconfig and altered my boot options to where it automatically booted up in Safe Mode with Networking, so I wouldn't have to manually do so everytime. Well, I forgot that I'd altered this setting when I put in my XP cd and decided to reinstall windows. The installation gets about halfway through, and states that it has to reboot to finish. Of course, when my computer boots in Safe Mode I get an error saying that the Installation can't complete while in Safe Mode, and that it's going to reboot again. But since my boot.ini has been altered, it ALWAYS boots in Safe Mode. Now I can't boot up at all, as everytime I turn my computer on it tries to finish the XP setup process, with or without the CD in the drive. I've tried to boot off the CD again, which leads to the same result. I'm aware this is a pretty stupid situation I've gotten myself into, and ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

Try last known good configuration from the safe mode boot menu. If you get in to safe mode, run msconfig again, under the general tab click the normal startup, and under the boot.ini tab, make sure that safe boot is unchecked.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 insert_adjective

insert_adjective
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hum. It's still a no go, XP Setup just overrides and tries to restart again. Any other suggestions?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Is there a pause in which time you have an OS selection menu? This is the one that reflects what is in the boot.ini file.

#5 insert_adjective

insert_adjective
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

Yes, I can access the OS selection menu, but all it has for a selection is Windows XP Home Edition. Is this the menu you're referring to? As far as I'm aware that's the only thing I can select from that menu. Thanks for helping.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

When setting up the XP installation, from the menu is there an option that says: "Repair windows installation"? Look at this link. Any chance of you being able to backup your files externally to say an external hdd just incase anything goes wrong - you'll be hitting yourself in the gon@ds if it does!!

Edited by FireKracker, 27 August 2007 - 04:58 PM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 insert_adjective

insert_adjective
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well, thankfully I actually have all the files I want backed up. Essentially the HD my OS was installed on was used only for that purpose. I'd be willing to just format the whole darn thing, but I don't know how to go about doing that from the point I'm at now.

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

wipe out your harddrive with boot and nuke

it will zero it

download it from here... http://dban.sourceforge.net/

burn it to cd and put it computer

it will detect your harddrive then erase it

then reinstall your windows

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

At the selection menu that says Windows XP Home Edition, you should be able to press F8 to get to the Safe Mode menu to use Last Known Good Configuration.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 insert_adjective

insert_adjective
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

All right, suppose I'm just gonna go with the harddrive wipe. Thanks for all the replies!

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

DBAN is a bit of overkill for your problem, just boot from your cd again, and when windows detects the failed installation, tell it you do not want to continue, then just do the regular quick format and reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users