Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping Drives...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

My old (six years) HP has the 40G drive that came with it, and I've installed a 100G Maxtor drive in the last year. I'd like to take the old, going to die soon, drive out and put the 100G drive in its' place. I'll do a clean install of XP* when I make the swap. Which leads to the following question:

If I first copy files that I need to keep to the old drive before I remove it, will it then be possible, after the large drive is set up, to connect the old drive again just to copy back the files I need? The old drive can then go into the "pile o' parts".

It would take a loooong time to copy everything to CDs, not to mention a lot of CDs, and I can't even do that 'til I replace my crapped-out CD drive. So I was just wondering about the feasibility of using the old drive to backup files 'til I can copy 'em to the new one.

* I've had to do this with the old drive a couple of times in the past few months, which leads me to believe that it's about ready to crap out completely. That, and the increased number of bad sectors. Seems like everything goes bad all at once. Kinda like your body. You feel just fine - then you turn forty and your doctor becomes your best friend. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by MattV, 27 August 2007 - 10:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

After you've installed the new drive and set it up change the jumper to master with slave present (if applicable) and your old drive to slave. You should be able to transfer files
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

After you've installed the new drive and set it up change the jumper to master with slave present (if applicable) and your old drive to slave. You should be able to transfer files
Mark

That's what I thought, but I left something out of the original post. Will having XP still resident on the old drive interfere in any way? I don't see how it should or would, but there's this little guy named Murphy running around, usually with a pack of Gremlins. If you never encountered them, then you haven't been working on or with computers long enough, yet. :thumbsup:

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

If your concerned that your previous operating system may interfere you could purchase/borrow an external HDD drive (USB) and put your old drive into that and transfer the file over that way.

As garmamma said ensure that the jumpers are set unless your new HDD is a SATA drive?!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

If your concerned that your previous operating system may interfere you could purchase/borrow an external HDD drive (USB) and put your old drive into that and transfer the file over that way.

As garmamma said ensure that the jumpers are set unless your new HDD is a SATA drive?!

The "new" drive isn't really new. It's a second, 100G drive that I put in because the drive that the machine comes with doesn't have a whole lot of room left with XP installed. All I'm really going to do is replace the old c: drive, which is six years old, - positively geriatric for a hard drive - with the 100G drive. I've got about 4G of "can't lose"* information I need to transfer. And I don't have the financial resources to buy much. Which is why I'm looking for ways to do what I need with what I've got.

* Normally, I'd go through the tedium of saving everything to CD. But the CD writer is another :thumbsup: thing I need to replace.

Edited by MattV, 27 August 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Fair enough matey, as long as your new HDD is set to the master, (old one being the slave) there shouldn't be a problem, and you have installed your operating system!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users