Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Xp And Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

I have been running Vista Ultimate since the end of January and decided to dual boot with Windows XP. Since setting up a dual boot system, I have found that I am loosing the restore points in Vista when I move back and forth between operating systems.

In doing some research, I cam across a fix that it is quite interesting that I wanted to share. The link is as follows:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disableide.html

It goes on to state the If Windows XP and Vista are installed on separate physical hard drives the following method can be used to preserve restore points by hiding Vista from Windows XP.

*Log onto the system as an administrator

*Go to Start-Run and type devmgmt.msc then press enter for Device Manager.

*Right click on the channel that hold the Vista drive.

*Select Secondary IDE Channel

*Select Do not use this device (disable) and then select OK

MY QUESTION IS: IS THIS DONE IN VISTA OR XP I'm afraid if I did this in Vista when I am supposed to do it in XP that I would shut down Vista and not be able to get back into it.

The concept seems solid but I just need some enlightment. I would like to keep both XP and Vista as a dual boot but the reason I set one up was that I wanted to move between the two. Loosing restore points in Vista has all but eliminated that capability. I haven't been in XP since God knows when.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. If I can't resolve this, I cam going to delete the dual boot option and just remain in Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Can someone walk me through how to delete the XP/Vista dual boot that I have now on my computer. I wish to dump XP in total if I can't find a way to save my restore points in Vista. Is it as simple as reformating my XP hard drive thus deleting the XP installation. Will that eleiminate the option to choose vista or an earlier microsoft operating system (XP).

Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to find out what I can do if I'm not able to fix the restore point issue.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Did you follow this guide in setting up the dual boot?
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_install_04.asp

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Jaycee,

Thanks for responding. I didn't find this site until well after I had set up a dual boot with XP and Vista Ultimate. I purchased a 350 gig Sata Drive and installed Vista on it. I set the drive letter for Vista as V. I maintained the XP home drive which is 80 gigs and left it as C. I also have a partioned drive D (D & E) of 250 gigs for storage.

Everything works properly but with the issue of restore points being deleted when I go back and forth between SP and Vista, I am considering doing away with the XP drive.

I thought I had done everything properly. Not sure now that I have. Is there a way I can get back to just the Vista drive and do away with the XP drive.

Thanks Jaycee for your help.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

You can format the partition with XP on it and can use BCDEdit to edit the boot files to remove reference to XP in the bootup sequence. Or, alternatively, you can format the XP partition and use the Vista Startup Repair option to fix things for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

I'm sorry JazzMahn, I don't know how to do that. You'll have to wait for someone with the experience and knowledge to help you there.

EDIT: Ahh...usasma replied to you before I finished typing :huh:

Edited by Jacee, 27 August 2007 - 05:58 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

Just another note, if the XP partition is also the boot partition - then you'll have to use the second method that I mentioned if the format cleans out the boot sector.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users