Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Modem For Older System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RennA

RennA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi!

This is an excellent forum! I actually did a search but could not find an answer that addressed my particular problem. I was given an older computer because it wouldn't boot up. System specs: WinXP Pro, Version 2202, Service Pk 1 - AMD Athlon XP2200+, 1.80 GHz with 512 MB RAM. I used the Windows disk that came with it and did a recovery and now it will boot up. I got it cleaned up and it's working and I have ordered the Service Pk 2 disk from Microsoft. My main problem is I live in a very rural area with dialup internet service only and the computer does not have a modem. The person who had this computer built did not need one. I know internal modems are really cheap now and having the modem installed is not a problem, there is a slot but I'm not sure what kind I should get. Will any new modem work or should I try to find a used modem for this older system? Will drivers be a problem? The computer is just going to be used by kids doing homework and checking email. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated very much.

Thank you,
RennA

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 August 2007 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi RennA and welcome to BleepingComputer.

All you really need is a 56k PCI modem, Tiger Direct has a US Robotics modem for $19.00 with a $10.00 rebate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RennA

RennA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hi dc3,

Thanks for taking the time to respond....I really appreciate it! I am going to order the modem now that I feel safe in doing so and it was really nice of you to provide a link. I'm sure I'll be encounting some other issues with the older computer and it's a relief to know I have this great forum to come to. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your help!

RennA

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

You shouldn't have any driver problems most new cards sold today are Windows XP compatible. The one Dc3 recommended should work great.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users