Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Slave Drive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

About six months ago I installed an 80g slave drive. Sometimes when I boot the drive has disappeared from "My Computer", this may happen for a few days. Then suddenly it reappeares and will be there for a month or two. I use it to backup my wifes documents, we haven't lost anything yet but I know the day may come when it doesn't reappear. When it disappears I look in disc managment and it's not there either.
I hope someone out there can help.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

the drive has to get recognized at bootup by bios, sometimes a weak power connection won't give it enough juice to spin up and be seen and passed on to windows

try changing the power connections around?

make sure the cable(ide or sata) is fastened good

if ide/pata, that cable position and master/slave jumpers match

Edited by DaChew, 27 August 2007 - 08:42 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

Correction: If the drives are IDE/PATA then their ribbon cable positions DO NOT matter. Only the Master & Slave jumper settings do. If the drive jumpers are both set to 'Cable Select' then their positions on the ribbon cable DO matter: The drive at the end of the cable will automatically be the Master (and boot) drive.
------------------
Disappearing drives is a common problem with XP. I have heard of no explanations except for a faulty drive. So, find out who made the drive, go to the manufacturer's site and then download and run their diagnostic to see if there are any hardware (mechanical or electronics) problems.

You can try uninstalling the drive using Device Manager. The driver will be reinstalled on the next startup.

Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button
Locate the entry 'Disk drives' and click the plus sign to the left of the entry. Your drive should be listed unless it has disappeared again. Right-click on the drive name and select Uninstall. Confirm your way out of the popups. Restart your PC.

You may have to do this every time the drive goes away until you get to the bottom of the problem.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

Correction: If the drives are IDE/PATA then their ribbon cable positions DO NOT matter.

where did you hear this?

When the 80-wire cable was defined for use since ATAPI5/UDMA4, the master device goes at the end of the 18-inch cable(black connector), the middle-slave connector is grey, the blue connector goes onto the motherboard. So, if there is only one (master)device on the cable, there is no cable "stub" to cause reflections. Also, cable select is now implemented in the slave device connector, usually simply by omitting the contact from the connector body. Both the 40-wire and 80-wire parallel-IDE cables share the same 40-socket connector configuration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users