Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irql Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Clancy141

Clancy141

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

Recently I've been receiving IRQL Not Less Or Equal blue screens whenever I try to read a disc in my dvd drive (Sony) or dvd burner (NEC). The end of the error message is 0x80506479. I used to use Alcohol 120% to emulate a virtual drive, but uninstalled it incase it was cauging the problem. However, the error still occurs. I am running WinXP SP2. I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:20 AM

IRQL errors are often caused by corrupt drivers. Try updating the driver for your DVD drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:39 AM

So I need to go to each manufacturer's site and download the driver for each drive?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

Actually, I didn't read your original post closely enough. If both drives are giving you problems then it's probably the IDE driver. You can check this by uninstalling it, rebooting and letting the OS reinstall it on reboot. Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button. Click the plus sign to the left of the entry IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on the entry Secondary IDE channel and select Uninstall. Close out of all the windows. Reboot and try playing a DVD to see if there was a change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

In that category, I have 3 entries:

-NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller - Under properties, and then Primary Channel, it shows the DVD drive as the Master Drive, and the DVD Burner as the Slave Drive.

-NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller - Nothing under Primary or Secondary Channel in Properties

-NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller - Harddrive listed under Primary Channel in Properties

Edited by Clancy141, 27 August 2007 - 08:00 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

The first one, with the DVD drives, is the one you want to reinstall the driver for.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

So I should uninstall the entire Parallel ATA Controller, reboot, and it should reinstall itself and possibly make both drives work again?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

I'm going off the top of my head here, but you should be able to uninstall just the Primary Channel, rather than the entire Parallel ATA Controller. Before you do this you should write down the name and version of the driver in case you need to find it again.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

I don't see an option to just uninstall the Primary in properties.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

In that case try uninstalling the entire Parallel ATA Controller then reboot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

I uninstalled the controller, rebooted, and Windows detected the new hardware. It then asked for a disc called "SRCDATA", so I pushed OK, and it asked for a file called "nvata.sys". I already had that file on my computer (actually, 2 versions of it), and I gave it the newer version, and rebooted. But, the problem was still there.

So, I downloaded the latest chipset for my asus a8n-e mobo (which was 6.86). Again, the problem did not go away.

Any more suggestions?

Edited by Clancy141, 27 August 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Try locating the dump files from the BSOD message ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491 )

Once you find the dump file, you can analyze it using this procedure: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3...amp;postcount=4

Post the results here and we'll see what we can figger out from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

Alright, I installed all the necessary programs/files and located my dump file. Here is what was generated:

Opened log file 'c:\debuglog.txt'

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082707-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805533a0
Debug session time: Mon Aug 27 23:21:05.968 2007 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:28:02.561
Loading Kernel Symbols
............................................................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvata.sys
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {0, 2, 0, 80506479}

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

Update your chipset drivers from Nvidia, yours is a nForce 4, but there are four different versions. The link to the download site is here http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Select Platform/nForce Drivers, then the driver that applies to your main board, and then the OS.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 Clancy141

Clancy141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Since I have an AMD, I should choose the nForce4/nForce 500 Series AMD right? I did that already, it is version 6.86. Should I uninstall all the drivers (or the IDE drivers) from Add/remove programs and then try and install the new chipset again? Or maybe try the older chipset on the cd that came with the computer initially?

Edited by Clancy141, 27 August 2007 - 11:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users