Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reading Pcdvd Causes 100% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UofITweak

UofITweak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hi, new member trying to troubleshoot a problem with my DVD drive.
I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 running Windows XP Pro SP2. When I first got the computer (it's issued to me from work, so I didn't get it brand new) the DVD drive was broken. I got a replacement and have been mostly successful in using the drive. I installed Command and Conquer: the First Decade without any problems about a week ago. Since then I purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator X, which also comes on PCDVD. Any time I put either of the two DVDs in the drive, the CPU jumps to 100% and stays there indefinitely. I have tried to simply view the DVD in windows explorer with the same result. I have run the diagnostics that are pre-loaded on the computer and it doesn't have any problems. Since attempting to install Flight Sim, I used the drive to successfully install a game controller's software. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to any other computers or copies of the program to try and isolate the problem to either this particular drive or the DVDs. I have tried just being patient, letting the CPU run at 100% for minutes up to all night (which is retrospect probably wasn't real good for it.) I can pull up Task Manager, and the CTRL-ALT-DEL box where I can select to shut down the computer. Attempts to shut down the computer fail and I eventually have to hold the power button to turn the computer off. Any suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer! I'm curious to what kind of processor you have and the amount of ram you have. Those games especially flight simulator use a lot of system resources. Also it could be your graphics.

I had a similar problem because I had a bad virus. you should scan for viruses and spyware.

Last thing I can think of is go to your DVD drive manufacturer website and update the firmware.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 UofITweak

UofITweak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

I don't know the details as to what processor the computer has, but it's 1.8 GHz. 512 MB of RAM. I just updated the definitions and ran virus scan (I have Norton Anti-virus). I could understand if it was while I was attempting to run Flight Simulator...but I am simply attempting to install it. It is not loaded yet, but every time I try to read the DVD the processor jumps to 100%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users