Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Computer When Gaming

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Have to go back abit to describe this problem. I play WOW, a lot. I had 512 RAM and decent frame rate for that (around 20ish). I then upgraded and added another 1 GB stick for 1.5GB and the FPS did jump to around 20-35 constantly. However, recently, the past 3 weeks the FPS has dropped to around 10, constantly.
I have not installed anything into the WOW file in three weeks, and have removed all my UI mods etc. The program even launches slower now, I have run the repair program inside WOW, no effect.

It has to be something to do with my laptop.. Have done a AVG Virus/Spyware, Spysweeper, AdAware, Spybot and Posted a HJT log and was told nothing was suspicious. I had my SpySweeper scan for RootKits as well. Still, nothing found.

System: Toshiba Satelite A105-S071
System Specs:

1.7 Ghz Intel Celeron M
ATI Radeon Xpress 200m
ATI Motherboard

RAM:

DDR2

1024 Kinsington PC2-5300 (333 Mhz)
512 Hyundai Electronics PC2-4300 (266 Mhz)

Might be a driver issue, have had Absolutly no luck in upgrading the drivers offa ATI website, keep being told they cant find a compatiable driver. Toshiba has only vista drivers available.

Data provided by CPU-Z.

I have defragmented, cleaned and anything else I could think of. This is becoming very irritating.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you!
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Here are the drivers for the ATI Radeon Xpress 200m. If that doesn't work go here and choose Windows XP > Integrated/Motherboard > Xpress 200m.

How long have you had ur current Windows install? If it's not too much trouble maybe it's a good time to do a clean reinstall of Windows.

.::EDIT::.
Oh, and I noticed that the new stick of RAM you bought is set at a faster frequency than your older 512 stick. It isn't a huge deal but your new stick won't be using it's max speed and will function at 266 Mhz speeds instead of 333 MHz.

Edited by mand0, 26 August 2007 - 07:34 PM.

#3 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

About your edit, I was aware it would be operating at 266, it isnt that big of a deal. I cant reinstall my windows as its a toshiba and only has a Norton Ghost recovery disk, which wont do a real reinstall of windows as far as I know, and the fact I'm currently in college atm and would loose alot of time/information. Which I cant afford right now..

I tried the ATI drivers page about 3 time and spent 4 hours on it. When I downloaded the Catyalist program It gave me the message "Unable to find compatiable hardware/operating system. Driver Setup will now exit."

Its also not the connection. I did all the troubleshooting I could think of, only thing I can think of is its a hardware problem. I ran PC PITSTOP and was informed that my RAM was operating at 50% of what it should (2500 mb/s instead of 4490 mb/s or some such). Was thinking of just sticking it in the shop when I got home and have it checked up. Pc Pitstop said the fix was to change BIOS settings, and I'm not messing with that.

EDIT: Windows came pre-installed, first time it was seriously used was August 2006. Not long enough for me to think its a windows problem, previous installs on another machine lasted over 7 years. Have kept pretty good care of this machine.

To describe in detail exactly what happened. Morning: Working fine, Afternoon: Program glitches twice, requiring a hard reboot (holding the button down). Then started working with the lag. Thought it was a program error and ran the repair utility that came with it, it fixed two files, however it is still lagging ingame horribly, and on startup. Only really memory intensive program I have, so I have nothing else to compare it to. Otherwise the computer runs fine.

Edited by Ngarskel, 27 August 2007 - 05:44 PM.

"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

You could try testing your memory with memtest86. Maybe you got a dud stick.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

It is possible one of the sticks is not working right, even if the computer still is detecting 1.45 GB of RAM. However, it worked fine for about two weeks and then took this turn, is it possible that when I restarted it when it froze some setting was changed in the computer? PCPitstop said my RAM speed might be related to some 'Level 2 Cache' not being enabled or some such, and recommended going into BIOS to fix it.

I also know that Toshiba has Put out a BIOS upgrade, however I have no idea how to do a BIOS upgrade, anyone explain how to do it and it might fix the problem.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

EDIT:

Would it be worth the time to do a complete uninstall of World of Warcraft, delete the WOW program files folder etc, then defragment my Laptop and do a fresh Install of WOW? Its really the only program I'm having issues with.

My connect speed is about 5000 kb/s so redownloading the client(s) would not be an issue.

Edited by Ngarskel, 28 August 2007 - 11:43 AM.

#6 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

UPDATE:

Uninstalled and completely removed all files pertaining to World Of Warcraft and Re downlaoded and Installed the program. Had to defragment afterwards so that has also been recently done. The program opens faster than before, however the horrible FPS rate is still there. Any other suggestions of what it could be other than messed up RAM?

If not then I'm probably screwed untill Fall break or so.

EDIT:

Took a look while I was running the program for PF vs RAM usage...Noticed that I had an 800 mb PF and still 900 MB of Unused RAM. Normal, or is that indicating a problem? I was under the impression PF was used when system RAM was low...

Edited by Ngarskel, 29 August 2007 - 12:00 AM.

#7 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

Any suggestions? Not only about the Lag issue, but about not being able to update my MB/GPU Drivers? I also need to update my Audio Drivers but the RT site just confuses's the living bleep out of me.

Its RealTek HD Audio. I can never figure out there site. I'm also recently having problems with websites not leaving me logged in even though I have cookies enabled and have the site set to 'remwmber me/auto login'

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

I was digging around on the ATI website and the information I found states that the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M has an AMD processor, whereas in your original post you stated that you had a Intel Celeron M. Strange :thumbsup:

Anyway, I think you should download any drivers you need from the Toshiba website rather than ATI.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

I was digging around on the ATI website and the information I found states that the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M has an AMD processor, whereas in your original post you stated that you had a Intel Celeron M. Strange :thumbsup:

Anyway, I think you should download any drivers you need from the Toshiba website rather than ATI.

Oh yes, I have realized that strangeness myself and have contemplated it till my head hurt. The problem is Toshiba has only Vista driver updates :flowers:

So I'm bashing my head against the :wall:

All I know is what Everst and CPU-Z tell me on the AMD thing, Intel celeron M, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M. I think that may be some issues in itself, but still...this is irritating

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

let's see what everest says about your mother board and memory, post the overclock quick report

you might have a heat issue also, extra ram takes more power, makes more heat
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:06 AM

I had a look on the Toshiba website and could find no information on a Satellite A105-S071. Did you mean Satellite A105-S2071? If so, there are plenty of XP drivers available.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:40 AM

I had a look on the Toshiba website and could find no information on a Satellite A105-S071. Did you mean Satellite A105-S2071? If so, there are plenty of XP drivers available.

Yeah sorry S2071.

I've looked at the XP Drivers, there the ones I have now. Look at the dates they where posted 2005/2006.

I've gotten message popups from games before (Ie COH/COV) that I needed to update Video drivers. I also know from a sound issue I need to Update me RTHDA driver. Cant find anything but what I have on toshiba.

#13 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

let's see what everest says about your mother board and memory, post the overclock quick report

you might have a heat issue also, extra ram takes more power, makes more heat

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Celeron M
CPU Alias Dothan-1024
CPU Stepping C0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel® Celeron® M processor 1.70GHz
CPUID Revision 000006D8h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1691.86 MHz (original: 1700 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 17.0x
CPU FSB 99.52 MHz (original: 100 MHz)

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 32 KB
L1 Data Cache 32 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name ATI SB450

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM3: Kingston 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM4: Hyundai HYMP564S64BP6-C4 512 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 01/23/06
Video BIOS Date 05/11/24
DMI BIOS Version 1.50

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (RC410M) Chipset
GPU Code Name RC410M (PCI 1002 / 5A62, Rev 00)
GPU Clock 301 MHz (original: 300 MHz)

#14 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures:
CPU 64 C (147 F)
FUJITSU MHV2080BH 36 C (97 F)

Thats reading hot as hell, but the case is cold to the touch. I had heating issues before and got a cooling pad for it. At those temperatures this thing shouldent be booting up, think thats a screwed up reading.

Edited by Ngarskel, 01 September 2007 - 10:45 AM.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Try reinstalling the drivers, even if they are the same as the ones you already have installed. Sometimes drivers get corrupted, and reinstalling can help.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users