Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Won't Receive Messages

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

With Windows XP SP2, suddenly Outlook Express won't receive messages from the server. It connects ok (and the internet connection is fine) and attempts to download messages (you see the "downloading nn messages briefly), then reports "an unknown error has occurred...". I unintalled and reinstalled Outlook Express by Microsoft instructions. Then I DELETED all messages waiting on the server to be downloaded, then just sent a new message to myself, and got same error message. No Outlook Express settings have been changed on this computer. SENDING messages works fine - error in just receiving. Double-checked the POP address with the cable provider. I am considering a System Restore. Any other ideas? Thanks a bunch!

~Moved from Windows XP Forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 26 August 2007 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

I had this problem a year back. Reset all my accounts, TCP settings, and whatnot. I finally gave up. When the cable co. finally upgraded my service it was discovered it was on their end and they reset my account. The tier one customer service rep. was not help. I had to go further up the chain of command.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

you do not mention who your ISP is?

#4 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:19 AM

Have you tried testing outlook express with an alternative account?

Sign up to Google Mail, then set up Outlook Express so you can send and receive with your Google Mail Account.

You can then start to get a clearer picture of where the problem lies.

#5 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

The ISP is Cox Communications.

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

I have never set up Outlook Express to accept Google Mail. Could you provide some guidance on how to go about doing this, please? Thanks.

#7 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

To set-up Google Mail with Outlook Express, visit this page for step-by-step instructions https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:21 AM

Here is a link to Google instructions for setting up a POP account using Outlook Express:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....&topic=1556

Hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

try this

OE/tools/accounts/mail/select appropriate address/properties/advanced/what is the server time out reading set at?

#10 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thanks. I had already increased the timeout from 1 minute to 2 minutes, with the same problem.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

is this the only account IN your outlook express that is affected by this annomily?

may I suggest you try setting up a duplicate of this account IN your OE and see if IT works?

the Cox Communications pages I managed to track down are not particularly helpul on settings advise; I guess you can still SEND mail out OK?

of interest, have you checked your computer out for any bugs with your antivirus and other protection programs?

Edited by ruby1, 29 August 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#12 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

There is only one OE account currently. Yes, sending mail out is ok. This computer runs Norton AV with AutoProtect always on, and gets a full scan weekly. Nothing reported. Also runs Norton Personal Firewall, and that has reported nothing. In past day, mail has started to be received INTERMITTENTLY again. No further changes on my part caused this. However attempting to DELETE mail now results in no action whatsoever. Will contact cable ISP again, but they previously said the problem was OE on my end - no problem of theirs. Webmail seems to work fine from this ISP. Thanks for all of the advice.

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

what you could try is; first check the server to see if any emails are on it;clear them off if there are, unless you want TO download them ; log out OF the browser ; then with no browsers open , send yourself a test e mail ; then before you retrieve it , temporarily disable the Norton, then try and retrieve the email from the server ; see if the Norton is the culprit :thumbsup: re-enable the Norton once the test has been completed

I guess you do not use mailwasher either?

#14 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

I already temporarily disabled Norton Firewall, with no effect. I have not yet tried it with Norton AV disabled. I never heard of Mailwasher... Thanks.

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

suggest temporarily disable the Norton av and try? maybe dear Norton 'has struck again' :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users