Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wd Raptor/ Winxp Booting Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cjmstate

cjmstate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi all,

I'm somewhat of a novice on this stuff.. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went to bed last night with my computer running and woke up this morning noticing it was off.
Now, it won't boot windows.. just says disk read error. I put the windows disc in and the auto recovery system comes to the screen where it says windows is starting and then nothing happens.

It pains me to admit that my wd raptor hd probably fried out somehow but hopefully not. Any suggestions on how to check the hard drives life? or how to get windows to boot?

Also, if the hd is not working.. is there ANYWAY to salvage any of the files/music/etc.. ?

I got the hd from newegg about a year ago so I assume I still have the warranty.. first one fried out on me last year.. I don't see how I could possibly go through 2 raptors.. it doesn't seem like I have any cooling issues or whatnot... confuses me how randomly in the middle of the night, the hd stops booting windows..

I need help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

Aren't the Raptors clear cased? Can You see if the disk is spinning? Download WD's diagnostic tool and see what it shows
Mark
http://support.wdc.com/download
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cjmstate

cjmstate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

It is spinning.. but that doesn't mean it is working :/

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Do the HD diagnostics test
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users