Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightning And Computers What Does It Fry?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Okay so my church had a bit of a storm that killed half the sound board and a couple of computers. What I want to know is do you think its possible that the lightning just fried the power supplies and went no further? Is that possible? I seem to have thought it was. Anyone know?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

Happened to me when I was in the hospital and no one shut down my computer. So far I lost a power supply for sure and possibly a hard drive. Really need to get the p.s. before any more diagnosis
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

I read it can also blow the motherboard. I will ask the guy at my church if I can see the computer tonight maybe.

I guess a simple power supply swop would tell me something. How would I tell if a PS is blown?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

Other than swapping it out with a known good one, you would need a voltmeter
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yes, it is possible all that was damaged is the PS.

It is also possible that the systemboard was damaged, the modem if it was plugged in to the phone line, the network card or portion of the systemboard, the video card, etc.

Assuming they don't have backups - sorry, but it seems that that is the more likely assumption than that they do in all too many situations - I would disconnect the HD while attempting to diag the extent of the damage just in case. All of the components can be replaced in one manner or another, but the data, as you probably know, is the most critical aspect of the system.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

I think the easiest way is with a Volt/ohm meter tester
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

Would a surge protector protect against something like this?
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Some girl told me today surge protectors are not made/will not protect against lightning. I know they do protect from lightning because one saved my pc a few years ago.

I did find out what was bad as I asked him. He said it was a video card and a hard drive on the other one. Luckily he said he backed up the hard drive last week! :thumbsup:

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

Surge protects can (in some instances) save a PC. however some aren't big enough to protect against the worst case scenario. i fried a battery charger and portable radio by welding too close to the surge protector and welding is less voltage and amps then a lightning strike. (I think cant remember)

Posted Image

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

It's quite possible everything is fried or will fail shortly, I wasted a lot of time and money on one. Never again. If you see obvious damage(burn marks, blown components, etc) don't waste any time on it. People harp about static electricity too much!
Imagine the amps that lightning can supply, surge suppresor or not.

one fast blow fuse in a UPS or simply turning off the power strip is the best protection

Edited by DaChew, 26 August 2007 - 10:02 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

I use a Surge Protector as the Power here is fluctuating so much.If I see a Storm coming,I swich off the PC and remove the Plug from the Power supply.Works for me. Better to be safe than sorry.

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

I've had some clients get away with just swapping a power supply, some clients had all of their internals fried. I've even seen modems scorched out from surges down telephone lines, so anything is possible.
Posted Image

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:19 AM

I've had some clients get away with just swapping a power supply, some clients had all of their internals fried. I've even seen modems scorched out from surges down telephone lines, so anything is possible.

Is there anything on the market, to guard against this?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:35 AM

Most surge protectors will incorporate jacks for you phone as well, these will provide a modicum of protection but if you are serious you need something like a UPS that will have its own power supply which will not allow the surge to go beyond it in most cases. A lightning strike can have voltages up around 1,000,000 Volts and around 200,000 amperes, that's hard on electronics!

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the info 'dc3' Much appreciated.Was just reading about Lightening strikes and some have been measured at 1 Billion Volts. Scarey. My guess, it's the Amps that would do the frying.

http://www.strikealert.com/LightningFacts.htm

Edited by DSTM, 27 August 2007 - 02:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users