Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarts By Itself Immediately After ......

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

guys, my new toshiba notebook restarts by itself immediately after i put the system into either standby or hibernation. any idea? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

Try updating the video drivers from the Toshiba website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

just curious what's that have to do with the video drivers? i actually downloaded their bio update on their website thinking i was smart. my notebook couldn't even start afterwards, had to do a system restore thing to revive it. now i'm scared to download any update :huh:

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Have you gone into the power options via control panel? Look on the left and create a power plan.

1. Click on Start, and then click on Control Panel.
2. Click on "System and Maintenance".
3. Click on "Power Options".
4. Select a power management plan and then click on "Change Plan Settings".
5. Click on "Change advanced power settings".
6. In the Power Options dialog that appears, expand "Power Buttons and Lid", and then expand "Start menu power button".
7. Click on "Setting" and then choose the function you want the button to perform - "Sleep", "Hibernate", or "Shut down".
8. Click on OK.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

that's what i did before the problem even occurred. power button----sleep. close the lid-----hibernation.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

You might have configured it wrong...

Do you have a window (when you go into power options) that says "My Custom Plan 1" with a little button next to it?

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

i have window vista, so i don't think we're seeing exactly the same options here

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have Vista Business on my laptop...I think the power options are the same :huh:

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

control panel----change battery setting-----choose what the power button does or what closing the lid does
this is the sequence on my notebook. does that look familiar to you?

#10 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:12 AM

i'm sorry, i see what you're saying now. so what's the correct configuration? "start menu power button" has to have the same setting as "power button"?
thanks.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

There are different power settings for each system - and they're very customizable. It'll take a bit of playing around inside the interface, but you'll be looking for the one that's labeled "close lid" or something similar.

For the video drivers, just download them to your desktop. Then uninstall the current one's (if available) through Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program. Once that's done, double click on the downloaded file and follow the prompts. The hardest part is figuring out which video card you have. Let us know the make and model and we'll see what we can figger out!

BTW - I just bought a Toshiba X205 for the wife yesterday and it's absolutely fantastic! And it came with Restore disks!!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:07 AM

it's so frustrating ,no matter how i configurate it, it still doesn't work. it goes to sleep, and restarts again, same thing with hibernation. and after a couple of times of attempting, a black screen comes up saying something like " windows failed to shut down properly....."
i have the P105 series. please advise further on the video driver part, i don't see such download for my particular model on their website.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

There are 31 variations of the P105 listed at the ToshibaUSA site (this presumes the laptop was purchased in the USA) - which one is yours? You'll find it on the bottom of the laptop and it will be a series of letters/numbers that follow the P105 designation.

#14 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

it's p105-s6187,i actually called toshiba technical support, needless to say, they aren't so helpful. i was told "based on the configuration u told us, we can't find anything wrong....." i've had hp, dell before, none of them solved anything ever. honestly whoever invented technical support over the phone was really wasting his/her time and energy.
what am i supposed to do now :huh:

Edited by cute0206, 27 August 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

Here's a link to the page with the downloads for that model: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...kceghdgngdgmm.0

There are listings for both an Intel and an nVidia graphics card (display adapter) - so you'll have to find out which one you've got. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter - then click on the + sign next to Display Adapter and figure out which one you've got. Then you can download the correct one for Vista from the Toshiba website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users