Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Corrupt Group Policies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

I'm running Winxp Pro SP2, with ZoneAlarm, AVG antivirus, Ad-aware 2007, Spy Waresweper.

Untill early last night my PC was running fine (while in windows). After this time I now enter Windows and I have a problem - I am unable to load any programs. For instance:

- Programs that normally appear in the system tray don't appear/load
- Double clicking on icons/shortcuts (doenen't matter wether its a link for a txt file or an exe) on the desktop to load programs dont' load, instead a message is displayed " Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropiate permissons to access the item" and there is an OK button to press.
- So running virus/adaware etc isn't possible.

I have 5 users connected to the computer, 4 of them are limited accounts whereas my account is classed as computer admin. Prior to the problem occuring I installed Colin Mcrae's Dirt. Ontop of that I installed an offical game patch. Next I downloaded DVD Santa (which I beleive could be the source of the problem).

With this in mind, I switched off my PC left for about 30mins and then booted back into windows using safe mode. I could now run antivirus/spyware/adware etc which only just found a couuple of cookies, which I removed. I also uninstalled Colin Mcrae and DVD Santa, I then switched off my PC and went to bed.

The problem is still present. I am browsing the net by opening a folder on the desktop and typing in the addresss of this forum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by FireKracker, 26 August 2007 - 05:46 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.

You should backup your registry before you attempt this fix. For backing up the registry I recommend the freeware utility ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

Cheers for the info Budapest, "Kelly's Korner" is a pretty handy resource! My problem has been resolved, I carried out a 'repair install of WinXP'. For people in a similar situation head over to Microsoft's website to find out how.

Edited by FireKracker, 26 August 2007 - 11:12 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users