Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core 2 Duo With 2gb Ram Not Any Faster Than Core Duo W/ 1 Gb Ram.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:25 AM

i just bought a new laptop the other day with the former configuration above, but as far as i've noticed, it's not running any faster than my 1 year old notebook. why is that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:35 AM

If the only difference is the amount of memory (eg CPU speed the same, cache size the same etc), you would only notice any performance boost if the system with 1GB of RAM was actually requiring more than that to run applications. If neither of the two systems is running software sufficiently demanding to need more than 1GB, the second GB in the higher spec system is not being used at all. So there will be no difference to be seen in the performance.

If you use the systems hard enough that the one with 1GB is running out of physical RAM and starts having to use the pagefile on the hard drive often, you will notice the considerable drop in performance - things will lag and take longer to respond. The 2GB system doing the same work would not need to use the pagefile, so would not lag or bog down until more than 2GB of RAM was called for.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

are both laptops running the same operating system?

the core 2 duo need some heavier applications like photoshop or video encoding to show it's advantages
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:38 AM

Sorry, I didn't notice the original system was Core compared to Core 2. Core 2 does have some performance enhancements over Core, but there was not much wrong with the original performance of Core. Much the same situation occurs though - it will depend on how much demand your applications make on the CPU to begin with. If the clock speeds are the same, what a Core CPU does in 2 seconds, Core 2 may do in 1.6 seconds. But that doesn't really feel much faster, you don't think "wow, that's fast". But if you do video encoding and what used to take 2 hours now takes half an hour less, you would notice that. Or if you did music production and you found the Core 2 could run 3 more effects plug-ins and 2 more audio tracks before hitting 100% CPU utilisation.

Edited by Platypus, 26 August 2007 - 05:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

You will notice the difference in amount of RAM when you have many applications open at the same time. Try doing some photoshopping, listening to music, chatting online, playing a game, etc in any order. The biggest difference I've seen with more RAM is when you're playing a pretty graphics-intensive game, trying to alt-tab out of it will be so much faster on a PC with more RAM. So basically we're saying throw more at it.

#6 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

i guess that explains it all, i'm not taking full advantage of the new system. :thumbsup: the only reason i bought the second notebook is coz i needed a desktop replacement laptop.
but back to what i was saying, i don't play games, watch movies online, i do download music though. so far , i'm just not impressed by either window vista or the core 2 duo w/ the extra 1gb ram. i actually had another posting last night, the damn thing would restart by itself right after i put it into either standby or hibernation. so i went to toshiba's website and downloaded the latest BIO update thinking i was so smart.lol..... my notebook couldn't even start afterwards and i had to do a system restore thing to revive it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users