Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Start Up + Random Slowness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wookieefett

Wookieefett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

Ok well i've been searching everywhere on how to speed up my computer, i've run virus scans on 10 different programs and they all come up with nothing. I've used about 3 different registry cleaners, been into the msconfig thing and disabled all the useless stuff, defragmented, did a disk cleanup, just about everything that comes up in google ive tried and it hasnt helped... It's taking me almost 5 minutes to just boot up and im sure its not a virus! :thumbsup: :flowers:
Also just after its booted up everything, just sitting there on the desktop, its using about 35% of the RAM!

Here are my computers specs:

Intel Pentium D, Dual Core, 3.4GHz Processor
2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
512MB NVidia 7600 Graphics
320GB SATA Hard Drive

I'm running WIndows XP SP2

EDIT:
Below are some print-screened things that I took right after a reboot...
msconfig>startup tab
Posted Image

msconfig>services tab (right-click>save target as/save link as [for mozilla users] and view in windows' default jpeg viewer to zoom in and see this better)
Posted Image

task manager>processes tab
Posted Image

task manager>performance tab
Posted Image

Thanks

Edited by Wookieefett, 26 August 2007 - 03:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

Unfortunately, your out of luck with some of the programs you are using. Trend appears to be using a lot of memory and unless you want to switch to another AV program, you are stuck with that. Firefox is also a notorious memory slob. The more you use it, the more you open tabs, the more memory it sucks up and does not release back to the operating system until you shut it down.

The reality, though, it that 1.3 GB of available ram should still be more than adequate to run any game you want to play. I am more interested in the 20% utilization of the CPU, as your task list does not show that at all. Can you try and capture the process list, sorted by cpu utilization, when the CPU utilization is above 20%?

#3 Wookieefett

Wookieefett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:15 AM

Yeh I'll do another print-screen next time it happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users