Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

Over the past month I've upgraded both my Video Card and PSU with out giving my Windows XP install a second thought. So yesterday I tried to boot WinXP and got a lovely kick in the pants when it continued to freeze up upon loading some file named AGPCPQ. I tried everything I could think of aside from pulling the new Video card out (last resort) from loading Optimized BIOS Settings (which hadn't been done since I flashed the BIOS on my last WinXP visit, and the reason I'm trying to get back there) Safe Mode, Last known good configuration, and Start Windows normally. I figure the reason It's freezing and not showing a display on Regular mode is the new Video Card but I should still be able to get into safe mode.

Oh, the whole reason for me reflashing my BIOS? my Ubuntu Studio keep as freezing as well, only it loads and runs for any given amount of time (10minutes to 2 days) be fore doing so and brings up an Error message on Boot (MP BIOS ERROR: 8254 :APCI not connected to I/O) I've been told its nothing and to just disable APCI in the BIOS which didnt help the freezing issue.

Ideas?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

I would try running memtest86 and a hard drive diagnostic utility to rule out hardware problems with those items. Some other suggestions I found during a quick net search:

Run chkdsk from the recovery console.
Convert the Windows partition from FAT32 to NTFS.
Disable Intel SpeedStep in your BIOS.

You could also try some of the suggestions on this link:

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users