Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 patop

patop

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

This is a laptop I gave to a friend a few years ago. It was my favorite, an IBM Transnote. It's not booting, except in Safemode. It has Windows 2000, SP4, and 327M of RAM. It's hard drive has a capacity of 10G, with half used. I cannot find any antivirus or antispyware programs on it, ( :thumbsup: GASP!) and will try putting Avast on it, but don't know if I can do that in Safemode. It looks like it's set on atomatic updates.

What happens on booting is that it godes to the Windows Start Up screen, and in the little box where it shows "starting up," the little blue boxes only fill up about 2/3 of the way, and then it freezes.

What can I do? I've gotten so used to working with XP now . . . .

Thanks for your help, Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

It sounds like you have a driver conflict.
Go into safe mode and look in the Event Viewer for error codes. When you find them right click and select properties. Copy & Paste the results here.
Have you or he installed any hardware, software or updated any thing of late?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

I doubt that she's made any conscious changes, or added any hardware or software. She doesn't use the computer all that much.

I have gone to the programs and am unable to locate Administrative Tools or Event Viewer there. I thought that's where they were. Nothing under Accessories or System Tools.

#4 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

Okay, I found it in the Control Panel. Here are the errors in reverse order:

The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service which failed to start because of the following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
RasAcd
Rdbss
Smapint
Tcpip
TDSMAPI
TPHKDRV
TPPWR

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:

The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Messenger service depends on the NetBIOS Interface service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service service depends on the AFD Networking Support Environment service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Infrared Monitor service depends on the IrDA Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I went to the errors of 8/22, since I didn't want to include my downloading of Avast, or my trial of downloading Windows updates, or my unsuccessful attempt of getting her wireless device to connect with my system.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

Have you tried System Restore to a point before the problem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

Yes, I did. There was only one choice available. And when I rebooted it did the same freeze.

#7 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

Well, I decided I was going to bed. So I decided to shut it down. I turned it to restart, just to see if it might do it. Well, it didn't, and then it got stuck in a loop of restarting: everytime I held down the button to turn it off, it would reboot again, whether I wanted it to or not. And then finally . . . it stopped altogether. Now it stalls at the initial IBM Windows 2000 Professional screen . . . and goes no further. But at least now I can shut it off! Swell.

I will check for any wisdom in the morning.

#8 patop

patop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

When I received no more replies, I thought I would try reformatting the hard drive. I used the cd's that came with the computer. Everything seemed to go well - the files from the cd's getting expanded, etc. Then in what I hoped was the final reboot, on the window stating that it was loading/installing hardware, i.e., keyboards, everything froze when the gauge was at halfway.

Can't seem to get any further than that.

Is all hope lost?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users