Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dfisch

dfisch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:58 PM

I received a friends computer with no hard drive. After installing a new hardrive and booting the computer with the original Win98SE CD in the CD-Rom drive the computer was actually working, but not all that well. I decided to reformat the drive and followed instructions posted on different web sites. I had tried to create a startup disk without success so I downloaded a couple different WIN98SE startup disks from online. After reformatting, the computer does not recognize either the floppy startup disk or the CD-Rom. The message I get says, "Invalid system disk Replace the disk then press any key."
Any suggestions will be much appreciated, especially if they are in plain english because I don't really know what I am doing.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

Keep the floppy out of the floppy drive and insert the windows 98 cd. Reboot your computer. Does it attempt to boot from the cdrom or not at all?

#3 dfisch

dfisch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:45 AM

Thanks Grinler, after removing the floppy and by repeatedly hitting F8 I was given the option to boot from CDRom. Win98 is installed, now I am missing drivers. Thanks for your help.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:10 PM

No prob :thumbsup:

Yeah i hate the install and then search for driver game. Just gotta keep hitting the manufacturers web sites and downloading the latest drivers for each component

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users