Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragging Woes...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trashcan

Trashcan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

Are you sitting down? Good.

Two nights ago, I decided to do a defrag, since my computer is now about one year old and was starting to get a little sluggish. I made sure to shut down all excess programs, blah blah, all was well.
When I woke up in the morning, the screen had gone a bit wonky. The defrag screen was gone and there were a bunch of problems with the destkop. These would include...

* Icons won't open from the desktop
* Quick Launch is gone from the taskbar
* When I re-opened the Quick Launch, my "Show Desktop" button was without an icon and did not work
* Task Manager would not open
* When I clicked Start, icons on the menu were completely blanked out, while some remained.
* Overall performance was slowed to a crawl

So I restarted my computer, thinking maybe it would help, but right before the computer went black, I got the BSOD with the error message "STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}". Yayyyyy.

Interestingly enough, I've noticed when I start up my comptuer initially, the taskbar loads in two stages. When it first appears, it seems to be normal -- Quick Launch bar and all -- and if I press ctrl+alt+delete quickly, the menu will appear. However, after a certain period of loading time, the screen goes blank, showing only my background, and when the taskbar comes back, it is in its screwed-up state where the Task Manager will no longer load again.

The internet works fine, as well as various other programs after they load.
Safe Mode works fine, too (that's what I'm using now).

The steps I've taken...

I've checked all of my hardware in the Device Manager, and none have given me errors.
I've run chkdsk + defrag again in Safe Mode
I've run several virus scans (though I run both McAfee and AVG about twice a week anyways)

I have not added any new hardware or programs to my computers recently -- Again, the problem didn't crop up until after I defragged.
If it helps, I had a particular problem with SmitFraud and PurityScan viruses about 6 months ago, but I've long since cleaned up the problem, to my knowledge.

I'm baffled, as I have googled for this and have not found anybody else's problem to be similar to mine.

Any help? :\

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

Hi Trashcan,

Have you tried System Restore?

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Trashcan

Trashcan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

I was debating that as my next step, actually...I'll give it a go and see what happens.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Try this: When you restart the computer, use the {F8} key like you are getting ready to start in safe mode. When the menu comes up, use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good configuration, and then {Enter}. Since you were defragging, it sounds like a file had been flagged with MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT, Then the registry was not updated properly, reflecting the Old_Location flag to the New_location flag. Here is another link that also refers to your issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

I have had 2 data partitions in the last few months get so fragmented that transfers or dvd burns were working poorly. Both partitions were heavily used to write files to on a daily basis, core semi permanent files were never the problem. And the drives always had 10-20 % free space. In both cases I moved important data off the partitions and deleted and then slow formatted ntfs. My system partitions are never used for data and fragmentation is not a problem.

You might have to do a repair disk or a reinstall of xp if restore doesn't work.

Edited by DaChew, 25 August 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Trashcan

Trashcan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

Oh wow. Now I feel a little silly.
The problem apparently wasn't as serious as it made itself out to be.
I System Restored to the day before I defragged, and now everything seems to be fine.
Dunno why I didn't think to do that in the first place, really.

Thanks so much for all your input, I appreciate your help :thumbsup:

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

Good to hear that you are up and running again Trashcan.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users