Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Shuts Down When Saving

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Genla

Genla

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

There is no way I can save a Word document on my hard drive. Each time, I get the following: "Word encountered an error in [unknown] and it is going to shut down. If you keep on having problems, try to reboot." Rebooting doesn't help.

I noticed I can save on my flash drive, but not on the hard drive. Even when working on the flash drive, whenever Word starts saving automatically, the file shuts down and I lose what I was doing.

I tried saving into another folder than "my documents". I tried re-installing Word. It didn't help.

I don't know whether the following is related: any time I press Ctrl + alt + delete, it shows "smc (no answer)" ; it seems the computer works permanently with smc not answering. No idea what smc is.

I have Word 2000 ; the operating system is Windows Me.

This is an old computer now, but it does serve its purpose every single day.

What can I do to be able to save my Word documents?

Thanks for your help.

Yveline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

SMC has something to do with Sygate personal firewall. for your other problem I'll have to check around more
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

smc may belong to Skype or smc wi-fi for Skype, a device to use the phone service away from a PC. Now I'm not sure if that has any effect on Word but if you don't use it,uninstall it from control panel.
Sometimes word leaves temp files instead of deleting them and they may cause problems. It saves them with the tilde (~) in front. Search hard drive,type ~*.doc and ~*.dot ,delete any files found.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Genla

Genla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Thank you very much for answering.

I searched for ~*.dot and ~*.doc files. There was no result.

I do have Sygate on the PC. I have had trouble setting it up and I am not sure everything is set up the way it should. I am far from being a geek and I am new at managing a firewall.

I don't know what Skype is. I didnt see smc on the list shown on "add/delete programs" (is this what you call the control panel?).

Thanks for helphing.

Yveline

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

Yes add/remove would be in control panel.
Skype is an internet phone service. SMC belonged to that. I thought perhaps you used it and that's where that name came from. There is no Skype in Control Panel? As it's obvious you don't use it and I don't know if you're the only user. I'll see if I can find something else on Sygate as mentioned.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

Since I'm the person who recommended Sygate to Genla I guess I had better jump in here.

I helped her finish cleaning up her PC after an infection. Topic is here for your reference.

Apparently the smc {not responding} when trying to launch Task Manager is a known bug in the last version of Sygate. It happens with Win98 as well as ME. Please see this topic on SpywareInfo for details.

Yveline, you might want to try a slightly older version (Sygate 5.5) which apparently does not have this bug. I found it available for download at this web page. Just download the file, then remove your current version of Sygate using Add/Remove Programs. Then reboot the machine and install the older version. Unfortunately you will have to go through the setup again to "teach" it to allow your programs to access the internet. If you have trouble with that, post a question on the Antivirus and Firewall forum.

However, that will not solve the problem with saving documents in Word. It is not related.

I know almost nothing about Word. The only specific suggestion I found was to delete the normal.dot file, unfortunately that did not work. To Mark, Boopme and others here, hope this info helps in finding a fix for this problem.

Dave

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

hello Genla,
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that you'll probably need to show hidden files to see the normal.dot file(s).
Here's how
Make sure Word is nt open

Windows ME (from BC tutorial)

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
After the new window appears select the View tab.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Delete all the found files. Reinstalling doesn't create one but a new will create when Word opens and doesn't find one.

btw Thanks Dave

#8 Genla

Genla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Dave, I am impressed by your follow up.
After reading your post, I uninstalled Sygate and installed the older version you mentioned. With that one, smc was still not responding.

For your information, since my last post, I found a couple of patches that translate Sygate into French and I installed Avast (Free), an antivirus that "speaks" French. I hope Avast does that job as well as AVG Free you directed me to. With these softwares, other family members, who do not not speak English, will hopefully be able to handle the messages popping upwhen I am not around.

Since I had the patch in French for the 5.6 version and since with smc was not responding either with the 5.5 version, I reinstalled the 5.6 (smc still not answering), as well as the patches. Weirdly, once I had installed the patches, I got a message "smc.exe has been successfully updated". But smc is still answering.

Anyway, I don't know what smc does within Sygate, but... I don't see what doesn't work. I mentioned it as I thought it might have something to do with the problem I have with Word. It sounds it doesn't.

Boopme, I should have thought myself about hidden files as Dave had directed me on how to show them for some of the stuff he had me do. It never even crossed my mind.

Once I had gone through the process for showing hidden files, I searched for ~*.doc, ~*.dot, and normal.dot files.

I have one normal.dot file. Deleting it doesn't change the problem I have for saving. The file re-creates itself each time I open word.

I had 4 files appearing when searching for ~*.doc or ~*.dot files. I deleted them.
- 2 of them were files I had created. One was a test that was good for garbage ; one was something I need to keep and that I also have under its good name (without the ~).
- 2 of them were labelled as templates when I clicked on properties ~$normal.dot and ~brun97.dot. These 2 templates re-create themselves each time.

Each time I try to save, Word keeps on shutting down.

(I hid the files again).

Thanks,

Yveline

#9 Genla

Genla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

Oops! The second template I mentioned was ~$brun97.dot , not ~brun97.dot.

Sorry,

Yveline

#10 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Hi Yveline, just to follow up, the bug in Sygate is apparently harmless, the firewall works in Windows ME, it just gives these annoying messages. That is my understanding from the topics I found on the Internet about this. I am sorry the earlier version did not help.

So if you can put up with this bug I think you can keep using the program. Just for your information, smc.exe is the main program file for Sygate. The reason I am sure it is not involved in your Word problems is that you were having problems with Word before you installed the firewall.

I will do another search to see if I can find another free firewall program you might try. If I find any I will let you know.

Avast is a fine Antivirus, a good alternative to AVG. It is good to know the free version supports French as well as English.

Dave

#11 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Found an alternative firewall -- this is an older version of Kerio Personal Firewall. The newer versions do not support Windows ME but this one does:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html

The link for this program file is about halfway down the page.

This is a ZIP file, you probably already have a program on your computer that can handle it. If so, just use it to unzip the Kerio installation file and ignore these instructions about getting ZIP Reader.

If you do not already have a program that can decompress zip files you can download ZIP Reader (also called PKReader) from here:

http://www.pkware.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=103

There is a French language version of ZIP Reader available. (Unfortunately, the Kerio firewall appears to be English only.) You will have to give your e-mail address in order to get to the download page, but they say -- not sure about this but PKWare is a reputable company -- that they will only send you one e-mail, unless you choose to sign up for more.

Download both files to your desktop. First double click the ZIP Reader file, follow the prompts to accept the license terms and install.

Once the ZIP reader is installed The Kerio firewall file will be displayed with the little ZipReader cube icon.

Before installing the Kerio firewall be sure to uninstall Sygate.

Double click the Kerio Zip file and extract it to a folder on your desktop. Open the folder and double click the installation program. Just follow the prompts. Installation is very quick. Then allow it to restart the computer, when Windows boots up again, if you are connected to a network it will ask you if it is trusted. Click OK. The Kerio window will close.

The first time you open Internet Explorer it will pop up a couple of windows naming ports that IE is trying to use. In each case check the box marked "Create appropriate filter rule and don't ask me again," then click Permit. That will get you connected to the Internet. I am sure the same thing will happen when you first check your e-mail, just do the same thing.

That's as far as I have gotten with the program, but the Help files should give you enough guidance for most purposes.

Dave

#12 Genla

Genla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

Yes, Sygate seems to be working fine. I just see smc (no answer) when I press ctrl + alt+ delete. Nevertheless, I keep the reference of the other firewall you mentioned, just in case.

I am still working on the set up of Sygate. The one thing I have not found yet is how to view attachments. Since I installed Sygate, I cannot open attachments of messages I have downloaded on my PC. I can only open them when I check my messages on line.

Thank you for the tip.

Yveline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users