Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Doesn't Boot Right

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

I installed Kubuntu from a Live CD, I guess the Window's MBR got damaged due to the reformat of the partition, and I'd like to know if there is a way to restore it without using the Recovery CD. I know that there is a fdisk /mbr command or something, but I can't really do it since I can't even get into Windows. Any help here? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

When you installed Kubuntu, did you want to dual boot with XP? From what I can see from your post, seems like you formatted your XP partition and basically XP is gone and Kubuntu has taken over.

This means whatever files you had are gone and the only way you are going to get XP back on is to put your XP CD or your recovery CD in and start over. With that, you'll lose the Kubuntu OS.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

I installed Kubuntu from a Live CD, I guess the Window's MBR got damaged due to the reformat of the partition, and I'd like to know if there is a way to restore it without using the Recovery CD. I know that there is a fdisk /mbr command or something, but I can't really do it since I can't even get into Windows. Any help here? :thumbsup:

If you didn't hose your Windows installation, you need to do that in DOS, not Windows. With a Windows 98 boot disk. After the A prompt comes up then type in fdisk /mbr.

Edited by mommabear, 25 August 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

You will need the XP Cd to access the recovery console
Mark
microsoft
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sharpe95

sharpe95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I can still boot Windows, with the F8 thing and all those Safe Mode and options and stuff, but I tried all of them, and they all come up with a blue screen error. The main error is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. So, I need a CD? Is that the only way?

When you installed Kubuntu, did you want to dual boot with XP?

Yes.

Edited by sharpe95, 25 August 2007 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users