Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring From 1 Computer To Another

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rockinrick

rockinrick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hello!
I've searched "data recovery" in these forums, and I have a couple questions. I need to get the data from one windows xp computer transferred to another with xp. What is an "easy transfer cable", and how do I use it? I'm trying to transfer data for a veterinarian's office, and I don't want to screw up their data!

Please explain how to do this (in english!) as I'm not the brightest bulb in the drawer!

Many thanks,
rockinrick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

try looking here
http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/itu/docs/migwizxp.pdf
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx

#3 rockinrick

rockinrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the reply caperdog!
I read the Microsoft page from the link you provided. Would it be better to taransfer an easy transfer cable?
If so, how can I do this?

Thanks for your patience,
rockinrick

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

A special "transfer cable" is not really needed. Most people simply burn the files on a CD or DVD and then copy them them to the target computer.

What did you mean by the word "data" ? Document, pictures and audio files ? Your Desktop ? Your applications ?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

Which veterinary program are you using? My wife's veterinary office uses VHM for Windows and it's just a simple copy operation to save the data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rockinrick

rockinrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the reply usasma!
They are using DVM Manager. I found out it's the only program I need to transfer. As for "data", I need to copy the program AND the customer files it contains. I know how to copy the program, but will the files be saved with it?
If not, how can I accomplish this?

Thanks to all,
rockinrick

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

FYI a "transfer cable" is called a crossover or null cable
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

In general most Windows programs can not be "transferred" by simply copying the files from one PC to another. They must be reinstalled on the new machine. The exceptions are called "in place" programs that do not get installed in the normal manner. They are able to run where ever their program files are placed. Large programs almost never are in-place programs. Utilities often are.

Most programs that use a database of any type usually allow the user to specify where the database files are to be stored. You could run through all the programs settings to try to determine if this location has been specified. These would be the user records that you want to save.

You could call the tech support of the company that wrote the software. They would certainly know the correct procedure.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

I'm not familiar with DVM Manager, but if it's a program that you can copy, then likely it's a DOS based program that doesn't present the difficulties that Windows based programs have. If that's the case, the data should be contained in the copy (for example, VHM for Windows contains everything (nearly) in the VHMWin subdirectory of the root drive. But it will not work by just copying it over - it won't link to essential Windows files.

There may be some issues with the setup tho', so I'd experiment with it before actually starting to work with it. Have one of the folks (who usually enters data) work with it for a couple of hours. Alternatively, a call to the tech support for the problem will usually get you some more straightforward answers (I've gotten to know the VHMWin folks pretty well myself!) In short, don't erase anything, or even try moving from the old system to the new one without being sure you've got everything (data entry to reconstruct records is a nasty chore that no one likes!).

Good luck! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users