Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Build Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Emerge

Emerge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

So recently I just built a comp and I have just never stopped having problems. Everytime I try to install my videocard driver it just totally messes up. Nothing works correctly. I cant get the resolution as high as its supposed to go, I cant turn Aero on, I cant get into the Bios, I cant change my dual monitor display setup, I just cant do anything. And its not a cheap build either. And on top of that I already have to RMA my wireless card These are the specs.

HD 2900XT 512 Vid card
Gigabyte P35C DS3R mobo
4 GB G.Skill RAM
250 GB Seagate HD
Creative Sound Blaster Sound Card
x2 Viewsonic Optiquest 20" monitors
Antec 900 Case
Zalman CPU Fan
C2D E6750
Antec TPQ 850 watt PSU
Lite-On DVD Burner
D-Link wireless card
Logitech G15 keyboard
Logitech Z-5300e Speakers
Razer DeathAdder mouse.

Please help I really want this to start working. Ive reinstalled windows twice and nothing works. If none of ur suggestions work then the guy who helped me build it is just going to take it and fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi Emerge and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What operating system are you using?

What happens when you try to install the video card drivers, please be specific.

How are you trying to access the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. When I install a couple of drivers they dont work exactly but the video card one is just retarded. When I installed it the first time it said it was a mismatch and i have to reinstall windows. Then I downloaded a driver on my laptop, then put it on a flash drive and put it on the computer and it worked, but when I rebooted I got another error and then I got into Windows and it said that there is no video card driver. It also says that I have 3.25 GB of Ram when it should say 4 unless its using the other bit for the vid card or something although it shouldnt. When the computer boots I try and get into the bios by pressing delete. At first the keyboard wouldnt even work until it got half way into the boot so I went out and bought a PS/2 keyboard and I cant get into the bios using either of them. I cant get into any of the options at the boot. So I cant even go into the bios to change settings and stuff which Im not sure why. Also when I first built it the BIOS was already messed up so the guy who helped me build it had to take it and reset it so that might have something to do with it. Thanks a lot for the help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

Try restoring your BIOS to default by removing the motherboard battery for 1/2 hour then replace it. Are you sure the video card and driver are VISTA compatible?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yes i downloaded them from the ati website. The second time nothing went wrong with the drivers but i still got the error. Is the battery about like an inch in diameter. If so when I take it out does it matter where I put it or can i just put it on my desk. I might have to remove my vid card to get it out. Also do i just pull it out because if so then my vid card isnt in the way but if theres something u have to do to get it out my vid card is covering the very end of it.

Edited by Emerge, 26 August 2007 - 01:44 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

Yes, it's a silver-colored coin sized battery. Just set it on you desk, remembering which side's "+". It has a small tab holding it in place. GENTLY pry the battery up and slide it out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

I got it out but it kind of flew out but lucky it was stopped by the mass of cables so it didnt hit anything or get hit very hard. I was wondering I dropped a screw on the very tipe of the motherboard will that effect anything. It just fell on to the edge of it.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

You've retrieved the screw, correct? If you're just worried about any damage to the board, it will be fine. Just be sure you get the screw
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

Yea I got the screw. I just put the battery back in and im having the same problem i did before. It Posts but then goes to nothing.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

When you say the computer goes to nothing does it pass the post test? Does the screen just go blank?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Is the Post test where it shows everything loading and stuff, well on my mobo u have to press a button to see the test so I dont know because i havent looked at it. And if it does pass it it just goes to blank.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

When you first turn on the computer, you should hear a single "beep". That's the post beep. Does the screen show any images at all when you turn it on?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

I cant hear anything when it turns on, unless Im not listening. My computer's quite loud so the beep might be drowned out by the fans noise. Ill try and put my ear next to the mobo when it turns on if thats where it comes from. Yes it shows an image when it turns on.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

Well you built the computer. Did it have a speaker and did you hook it up? When you installed the heatsink, did you use thermal compound?

Edited by garmanma, 27 August 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#15 Emerge

Emerge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

What do u mean did it have a speaker. Yea I hooked up speakers. Also the sound card's light turns on so Im quite sure its working. And I turned the speaker thing on. And yes I used thermal compound. Im quite sure I didnt make any mistakes when building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users