Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Reem

Reem

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

The past couple of days, Windows keeps restarting on it's own when I'm away from the comp for a half hour or more. When it starts up again everything takes a REALLY long time to load.

Also, lately when I've been using Firefox. I can only use it for so long before it stops working. I'll put in a site in the address bar or search it and the status bar doesn't move and nothing works. I then have to restart the comp again for the internet to work.

Am I infected by something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

I just noticed something new. Before it restarts this light blue screen comes up with white writing and then right away the comp restarts. I have no idea what it says because it goes and comes too fast.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Right click on My Computer and select properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart.
Click OK.

This want fix your problem, but it will allow you to read and post what is on the blue screen.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

Right click on My Computer and select properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Failure uncheck Automatically Restart.
Click OK.

This want fix your problem, but it will allow you to read and post what is on the blue screen.

That really helped! The blue screen did show up, and here's what I said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
7t
Check to make sure you have adequate disk space. If driver is identified in stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for drive updates to try changing video adapters.

Check your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer. Press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information: l me
***STOP: 0x00000007t ( 0xC00000000St) 0xF89896BB4, 0xF89868B0)

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator technical support group for further assistance.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

You will get more appropriate attention if you post that information in the forum for your Operating System.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

The symptoms you describe could be malware related or they could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, drivers, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis.

Check for malware by performing a full system scan with your anti-virus in "SAFE MODE". Also download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and AVG vcleaner. Some rootkits can also trigger BSODs, shutdowns and error messages so download and scan with AVG Anti-Rootkit.

If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc.
  • Open your machine, check all the connections and make sure the fans are all operational.
  • Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.
  • Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air.
  • Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink as it can break down over time so.
  • Remove the cards and RAM modules, clean the contacts and reseat them.
  • Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.
  • Monitor the temperature of your CPU, motherboard, hard disks, voltages, and fan speeds.
See "Cleaning the Interior of your PC" and the "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card" (use as a guide to clean & reseat).

See "Extract troubleshooting info from Windows XP BSOD error messages" and "How to Find BSOD Error Messages".

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.
You can also use NextSensor to check temperature and voltage or SpeedFan to monitor voltages, fan speed, SMART status, and temperatures.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here

Another option is Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the RAM for errors with a comprehensive set of diagnostic memory tests. Also see Memtest86+ and Memtest86.
Read the directions under Technical Info and allow the test to run for at least 3 full passes (or let it run overnight). Any errors indicate that there is likely a problem with your physical memory (RAM).

Finally, look for problem entries in Device Manager and check if updates are available for your drivers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

I ran the malicious software program in safe mode. It said malicious software had been detected but couldn't be removed. I then scanned with AVG anti virus and had 11 infected files. It's now in the virus vault.

Is there any other way to remove malicious software or to maybe know exactly where it's located? Should I post a hijack this log in the other forum?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

When a program quarantines a file or moves it into a virus vault, that file is safely held there (and no longer a threat) until you take action to delete it. One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of an essential file that may have been flagged as a "False Positive". If that is the case, then you can restore the file. Doing this also allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. Quarantine is just an added safety measure.

Are you still having the restart issues?

If you don't anti-malware programs see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform. I suggest you perform at least two of them

I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free in "SAFE MODE".

If that does not help resolve the problem, then please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#9 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks so much for your help!

After using AdAware along with a few other programs, I haven't had the restarting issue happen again. I think it's good to go now.

If it happens again I'll be sure to do what you posted.

Thanks again!

~Mod Edit to Remove Unnecessary Quote~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 27 August 2007 - 11:58 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:39 AM

Your quite welcome.

Now if your not having any more problems, you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system if you use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#11 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

Oddly enough it just happened again. I was using the comp *it was low on battery* if that may have anything to do with it? and the screen popped up and I had to restart.

I'm going to do what you said earlier and then do the restore point and see how that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users