Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Questions Sorta?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hey, First I thought with a breif description of me... hm, well I'm not a technical person when it comes to computers I know enough to get around.. like ram, cpu, and how to install stuff.. haha yes I sound like a n00b.

Ok, now for my problem, my parents old computer totally crashed on them. and they just decided to order a new one. So I got the old one, but I have a computer already so I was basically going to take out the RAM and HD and use them.

But anyway my two question;

First. I installed the RAM and it works that's no problem.
Second. Is it possible to clean there HD clean and use it as a external or internal HD?

Thanks,

- Eric

Edited by Verify, 25 August 2007 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

First. I installed the RAM and it works that's no problem.

Congratulations.

Second. Is it possible to clean there HD clean and use it as a external or internal HD?

Yes. I would purchase an external hard drive case (I prefer on with both USB and Ethernet ports) and the Wipe, not just format the drive.
I use [http://www.KillDisk.com/]Kill disk[/url]. It is a freeware that totally destroys all data. That way if you had a persistent virus this would take care of it.

External hard drive case/enclosures
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

Ok, thank you. But one more question, Is there a tutorial on taking out and putting it an HD case?

Regards, Eric

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Not to my knowledge, as cases vary one cover-all tutorial probably couldn't cover them all. When I did mine 6 months ago it was fairly cut and dry with the instructions that came with the case. (Its mostly the same as installing one inside your PC, the connections are the same).

Posted Image

#5 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

Ok, thank you for the fast responses. I'm doing research right now as to which HD case I should purchase. Any opinions as to which one should look into are welcome. :thumbsup:

Edited by Verify, 25 August 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

I've had no issues with my CoolMax. Just watch the connection length. If alot of users are saying the connections are to short in their comments it will most likely be a bear to connect if you have big fingers. (BTW connect the connections before screwing the Hard Drive in place. It makes life a whole lot easier)

Posted Image

#7 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

ok, well I decided to put it internally into my computer. I decided because this is a desktop and I barely need to transfer things.

but I found some guide but there confusing.. well to me.

if some one could point me or tell me a guide guide please do.
or if you want it in details on what I'm having an issue with please tell me.

my problem.

I looked online and saw that you need a master, and a slave drive? well i have a master drive im pretty sure.. and want to add a slave. problem is i have one grey cable cord (forgot the termanalogy ) and I have another one from my old computer. do I need both? and if I do how do I connect them and make my external hd a secondary one. I already put it in the hd tray...

again sorry for the bad spelling. I'm in a hurry.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

if your ribbon has 2 connection on it you will be fine. If not then you will have to buy a new one with 2 connections or take it out of the other PC. Make sure you also have a spare power connection available as well. Set the current Drive as Master on the jumper pins next to the IDE connection. the easiest way to do this is to remove the drive from the PC and work with it out in the open where you can read the writing on the top of the drive. It should show a diagram of 6 pins and a section of the IDE connection. Follow the directions on top of the Hard Drive. Replace that drive back into the computer and plug it in on the end of the IDE ribbon. Do the same to the new Drive and set it to slave following the Directions on the Hard Drive once again. Now install it in the PC using the IDE connection in the middle of the ribbon.

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

here is a tutorial for installing a hard drive.

Edited by dc3, 26 August 2007 - 12:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:26 AM

ok, thanks for the replies, I think I have it set up right but I have one question were do I connect the IDE cord from my secondary hard drive to? the motherboard?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

Did you look at the tutorial?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

yea, and it's just a little complicated. I looked at my computer and it looks like I only have one IDE slot on my mother board. and I want to know where i put my second IDE cord to.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

You HDD cable should have 2 IDE connectors on it the cord will plug into the same IDE slot its in now. If you have the proper cable you will only need to set the jumpers correctly as BlackSpyder mentioned and plug the second drive into the middle IDE connector on the ribbon cable (the gray cable that connects to the current HDD) and plug in the power connector. If the computer Really only has ONE IDE connector and you have a cd rom drive and the HDD on the same cable you will either need an add on IDE controller card or you should get the external case for the HDD. What kind of computer is this?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 Verify

Verify
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

ok, fixed it. I was confused because in my hdd drive bay is were i put my secondary. and well the n00b came out of me and i was baffled. anyway I fixed it thanks to everyones help. seems i just needed to put it under my cd tray. and i had a metal shell so it snapped right in. but my computer is a compaq
specs:
2048GB of ram (added 1 gig)
core2 duo processor
500 GB hd now!!! WOOT! (added a 250gb)
some other not very important stuff...

again thanks for everyones help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users