Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox Security Warning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spacekitten

spacekitten

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

Has anyone else experienced this?

Using Notebook with Vista Home, when sending anything from my end (entry in search, log-ins, etc.) I get a pop-up from Firefox saying :

"The information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could be easily read by a third party. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I have Firefox on my desktop as well (with XP) and have never received this security message.

Is this something to ignore, or should I be suspicious?

Kindest Regards~

PS: I get the security pop-up when posting to this forum, also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

In Firefox, go to Tools / Options / Security
At the bottom, under Warning Messages, click the Settings Button.
Here's where you set the warning notifications you want to receive.

Encryption is only something to worry about, when online dealing with bank transactions, giving credit card information, etc.
Encryption, is basically taking the information you send, and "scrambling" it, which makes it more difficult for unauthorized individuals who may intercept it, from retrieving the information.
It's not something you need to worry about on forums, or basic internet surfing.
Just make sure that when you go to a site that requires sensitive information, that there's a little closed padlock image, in the taskbar, on the bottom right of the page your on.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 spacekitten

spacekitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

Thank you, tg1911!

You have set my mind at ease.

I appreciate your help greatly.

Kindest Regards~

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

You're quite welcome, spacekitten.
Glad I could be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users