Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 muzzleloade

muzzleloade

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

I think I have problem with my install shield, every time I try to install something

I have a bunch of errors pertaining, I think, to shortcuts placed by the program to

be installed. I also get this message many times when I install a program,

"CoCreateInstance Failed; code 0x80040154
Class not registered".

I also cannot double click on shortcuts to open them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

P.S. I have XP service pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

try updating windows installer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

#3 muzzleloade

muzzleloade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

sorry, but it didn't work

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Hi muzzleloade. Are you trying to install one particular application ? Would that program happen to be for a webcam ? What is the name of the program and did it come with any peice of hardware ?

#5 muzzleloade

muzzleloade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

The programs that have given me problems are: System Mechanic 7, The ultimate troubleshooter,

Norton Systemworks 2006, Windows defender, ad-aware, spybot, cisco clean access agent, Avast!

antivirus.....pretty much every program. Another error that came up during Norton and cisco is

"Warning 1909. Could not create shortcut *.lnk. Verify that the destination folder exists and that you

can access it."

I can't double click to open any shortcuts, and shortcuts added when installing program don't show up,

I think it has something to do with shortcuts.....also, no webcams and no hardware

thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:47 AM

See the following Microsoft site, which has a number of different troubleshooting suggestions.

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 vimes

vimes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have the same problem; XP SP2 Media edition. "Cocreateintance failures" on all program installations, links not being made in start menu folders, double click doesn't open files (have to right click and choose "open"), can't access control panel from Start button link (only through My Computer), my taskbar resets to NOT show quicklaunch buttons after reboot. Also, but maybe not related, my internet explorer (6) stopped working. Tried to upgrade to 7 but although it installed (with the cocreateinstances, etc), it doesn't load. Uninstalled completely, but now IE6 won't install because it says it recognizes a newer version. Yikes! Any other ideas? This issue is not related to a single program installation. All virus and spyware scans come up ok (I've tried many different programs).

#8 Sparr0w

Sparr0w

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

I have the same error CoCreateInstance failed; code 0x80040154. class not registered- I checked the microsoft links as suggested, that doesn't seem to be the problem, for me it is installing any application QuickTime lite, Real Alternative, Peer Guardian2 every one has same message.
Has there ever been an answer to this problem? Just curious. I'll figure it out eventually I was hoping for help!
:-)) Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

What operating system?

Is it properly updated for critical updates?

Have you tried running chkdsk in the Graphical Mode...and then defragging after that?

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Put check marks in both options (scan, recover).

IMO, it appears to be a system problem (maybe file corruption)...lots of references on the Web, but no answers that I can interpret :thumbsup:.

If it is Windows corruption, running sfc /scannow may correct it.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html You will need the Windows CD to run sfc /scannow.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users