Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Firewall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

Hi all, i have a netgear router with built in firewall ( netgear DG834 ) its set on the default settings for the router and i have 2 desktop & 1 laptop pc's connected to it. The pc 's all have a firewall with my AV software, Norton internet security but i have it swithced off, i also have spyware doctor in 2 and Superantispyware in 1 of my machines , these all have a realtime gaurd running, do i need the other firewall to be switched on?,,,, thanks,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:54 AM

If the resources on your computer can handle it, it is always a good idea to have a software firewall (Other than the windows firewall) up and running. I am not a fan of Norton but I would recommend you activate the NIS firewall.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply acklan, i decided to switch the other firewall on when i am browsing & of to download anything because its quicker. I have tryed this out and all seem's ok.
Thanks again ,,,,Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

There is more to this question than it may appear.The defaulted settings to some of the routers of awhile back left in place a defaulted password which acted at least in part like a backdoor.This is and was the responsibility of the manufacturer which you should verify.There is also much to discover if this is your first foray into a router and what is a router?It is useful to know better what is meant by Stateful Packet Inspection and do you know the difference or can you identify the differences between what is recognised as Network Address Translation and what your idea is of a firewall? This information is intelligent and requires better than average knowledge of router technology.This is not meant to put anyone off however it is in fact a starting point in a discussion on first what is a router?

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:24 AM

The reason why it is a good idea to have a software firewall as well as a hardware firewall is because they serve to protect in different ways.

Hardware firewalls are used more or less for general network security, regulating traffic between computers on the network and the internet. This would be your first defense against a hacker trying to attack a machine on your network.

Software firewalls function as a way to protect each machine, mostly from programs unlawfully trying to access the net (or ther machines on your network). They also allow or deny connections to each machine based on any rules you set. For more information on this, have a look at your firewall software helpfiles and also read the tutorial on UDP and TCP on this site.

On a side note, routers themselves can add layers of protection. They typically provide Network Address Translation ("NAT"), which is another level of security - it shows multiple machines on your network as one machine to the rest of the world. They can also filter access to your network by only allowing certain machines onto it - this is known as "Mac Address Filtering" and is quite handy. In addition, wireless networks should implement some sort of encrypted security protocol.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#6 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:06 AM

The position had by the quiry is one which asks no questions as such though there is much in the question that assumes much information as well as much know how. The question is for starters what is a NAT router firewall and what does it do? The reference required to better understand this position maybe provided through a Series of Broadcasts entitled Security Now! This will be in reference to Episode # 3 dated for Sept. 1, 2005 Speakers are Steve Gibson & Leo Laporte Source File: http://media.GRC.com/sn/SN-003.mp3 File Archive: http://www.GRC.com/securitynow.htm Description: How and why any simple NAT Router makes a terrific hardware firewall.(And what you must disable to prevent it from being bypassed) Though as promised there is much to discuss it is worthy of note to refer to http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm There is a well layed out series of illustrations which are equally as well explained in detail entitled NAT Router Security Solutions-Tips & Trips You haven't Seen before-

#7 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

There is a real and a ever increasing need for greater clarity as to what is what in so far as all this talk about one thing or another.The issue mentioned above What is MAC address filtering is explained well and with great care and clarity dated for October 27,2005 Titled: Bad WiFi Security (WEP and MAC Address filtering) Speakers: Steve Gibson & Leo Laporte Source File: http://media.GRC.,com/sn/SN-011.mp3 File Archive: http://www.GRC.com/securitynow.htm This is episode# 11 There is as well with the grc.com web site, a truly definitive text in which to not only test your present firewall set up but to learn in great detail critical information to successful firewall toplogy.This is a reference web site that is highly recommended for more than merely a yes or no.

#8 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for your replys, i am led to believe that you should not have 2 software firewall's running at the same time, ie my win firewall & norton firewall. So,because one of my firewall's is a hardware one through my router and one is a software one through Norton internet sec 2007 it would be ok to have them both switched on?
The router is a ( NETGEAR DG834 ADSL+2 ROUTER ) & HERE ARS SOME SPEC'S OF MY PC,,,, THANKS .... Ian

Mainboard : Packard Bell BV Cuba MS-7301
Chipset : VIA P4M890
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1866 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : ST3320820AS (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device
Monitor Type : AOC International N19W - 19 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.1
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#9 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

So,because one of my firewall's is a hardware one through my router and one is a software one through Norton internet sec 2007 it would be ok to have them both switched on?

Yes, absolutely!

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#10 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

The question is again not so simple.The Hardware Firewall Router is a separate component or perhaps for another word,The Hardware Firewall Router is a separate machine which though possessing certain attributes which all routers possess nonetheless it is a separate issue all together.If for arguments sake you were merely to disconnect your router from either your computer or its Modem there would in reality be merely a separate machine not aligned with your CPU.the rule of thumb and perhaps the reason why this question is put forth in just this particuliar way is that the Computer/CPU housing your OS would benefit greatly from the protection that a robust fully functional two-way monitoring firewall would provide.If you opt for any lesser ability in a firewall you run the risk of not only redundancy but as well inadequate monitoring.The suggestion would be that with the Hardware Firewall there is a reasonably efficient monitoring of traffic inbound however it would as things go not provide for outbound monitoring. Always protect your computer irregardless of even a Network or merely dial up because there are plenty of disaster stories of Laptops coming in from the Wild only to Log on behind the Companies Networked Firewall which then would as things go allow for a unprotected presence.The Windows 2000 secured platform virus outbreak was just such an occurence when a Laptop was not protected and as things would have it logged on behind the companies Networked Firewall.It downloaded a viral infected file and one such company had a disaster on there hands.Always protect your computer because well it is your computer and if you do not protect your personal property it will be your personal property that will be at risk.

#11 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:50 AM

I think i get the jist of what your telling me baker1, if some one say, transfers files with a portable storage device to one of my pc's on my net and it's carrying a virus then because its bypassed the router with its firewall all pc's on that net are at risk, so in case of this or something simaler each pc should have a software firewall active aswell.
Yes, i see the sense in that,,, thankyou very much baker1, jhsmurray & the others for your help,,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users