Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sake

Sake

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Well, my new computer just arrived last night (hell yeah! :thumbsup:). Of course, the first thing I did was download and install all the firewalls, anti-viruses, etc. Well, after I installed ZoneAlarm, I noticed that I wasn't able to connect to the internet anymore! I even disabled it and still wasn't able to connect. It was after I uninstalled ZoneAlarm that I was able to connect to the internet again. I've also been experiencing a few problems like this with my old computer while using ZoneAlarm. Well, I'm using Vista Home now, so what firewall would you recommend? I want to use ZoneAlarm, since it IS a good firewall, but how do I configure it to allow me to use the internet?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Try configuring ZoneAlarm by following the instructions in Zonelabs Denied Access Issues.

Another good Firewall that I can recommend is Sygate Personal Firewall.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

I don't think it's program control, because I've tried that before.

Edited by Sake, 25 August 2007 - 03:34 PM.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

Rebooted between al lthe steps you've taken?
Windows Network setup correctly on the TCP/IP protocol?
something like auto detect DHCP, and obtain DNS automatically or correctly filled in?
Using a router?
Broadband? Dialup?

Disabling a firewall (ANY firewall or Anti-virus) is never sufficient. Firewalls are imbedded deeply into the OS in order to protect. Therefore, a complete, clean uninstallation is required.

ZA specific items to review
1.Generic host process (svchost.exe) has server rights in the Program control list?
2.Browser is allowed Access to the trusted and internet zone? (no server rights please)
3.Your LAN is in the trusted zone? Something like 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
4.Loopback address 127.0.0.1 is in the trusted zone?
5.DNS, one or both servers are in the trusted zone?
6.DHCP server is in the trusted zone if different from item 5?
7.McAffee, Norton, any other old security (firewall, antivirus) totally, cleanly removed?

#5 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

Rebooted between all the steps you've taken? Yes.
Windows Network setup correctly on the TCP/IP protocol? Huh? How?
something like auto detect DHCP, and obtain DNS automatically or correctly filled in? Wha?
Using a router? Uhm... I have no clue. :thumbsup: Does D-Link count?
Broadband? Dialup? Uhhh... O_O

1, 3, 4, 5, 6? Yeah, throughout my time with my old computer, I've noticied svchost.exe a LOT. Whenever I shut down my computer, that little prompt that comes up and ends all the programs, I see svchost.exe a lot. What is that anyways? And I have no clue how to do 3, 4, 5, and 6. :flowers:

Sorry, I'm a total computer nerd.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

Broadband=cable, DSL, FIOS
Dialup=through the phone, slow connection
The reason I ask, is I'm trying to figure out how you're connecting in order to TRY to help :thumbsup:

Windows part: Network connections, find Local Area network. Find properties. Does it say obtaind IP automatically? Does it say obtain DHCP automatically? These settings can be different, but worth reviewing.

how to do it?
Good instructions here (also in Help of ZA)
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=30671

DLink sounds like a router, so when you do "ipconfig /all" you will see, most likely, 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 the second batch, after / is a subnet. Most likely ZA already configured it for you anyway, all you have to do is make it trusted - right click the entry and check trusted.

Svchost.exe is a very important Windows program that runs various services. Yes, you can see a lot of them, often, 4,5,6 active. Search this site for a tutorial.

When you're in the command window and seee the output from ipconfig /all, right click the windo title, find Edit, and copy all text and paste it here. Skip pasting MAC address aka Physical address, and if you use dialup, skip pasting that. You can type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Edited: one more thing - make sure your Internet Zone is set to High and Trusted Zone to medium.

Edited by tos226, 25 August 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#7 Sake

Sake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thanks so much mate. It's getting a bit late here, so I'll try tinkering with ZA tomorrow. I'll edit this post when I've done. Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users