Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Suggestions On Upgrading Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

Hello :trumpet: just want to get some suggestions on which should I take..
I'm quite new on upgrading graphics cards..so can you pls. help me out in choosing?
Motherboard:P5PE-VM currently have Ge Force 5600 Ultra,128MB which is bad :thumbsup:
I thought I was close to saving money since one of my friends had a spare Ge Force 6600 ultra
but unfortunately,it got broke :flowers: He then rather upgraded to Nvidia Ge Force 7600 GS
I'm almost near..saving enough for Ge Force 6600 Ultra
I've also heard higher than these which are Ge Force 7 series and even Ge Force 8 series
the case is if I am to buy a lower graphics card,over time as applications require much more Memory to run,I'll have to buy a much more powerful one just to keep pace with the latest requirements which delays my time switching to vista (need to prioritize graphics card first)
Going to take a look on the price list and see if it's updated :inlove:
Is my motherboard compatible at least with Ge Force 6600 Ultra? or ok with the higher graphics cards?
Also,what is N Force? I've heard this from the Nvidia website

Edited by Commander Gman, 25 August 2007 - 05:14 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

You've got an AGP interface so you want a AGP card. Here is an article discussing the best AGP cards for the money at different price points.

nForce is a chipset made by nVIDIA and used on motherboards.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

Not really confident switching to Radeon or other brands
So I'm only sticking with Nvidia :flowers:
One silly question :thumbsup:
How would you differ AGP graphic cards from other types?

Specifications in my motherboard (P5PE-VM)
AGP8X (AGP3.0) enables enhanced graphics performance with high bandwidth up to 2.12GB/s

Edited by Commander Gman, 25 August 2007 - 05:52 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

nvidia cards seem to have a tendency to burn up, ati's seem to hold up better and run cooler in general,
but don't usually do as well with gaming dollar for dollar
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

You're probably right :thumbsup:
This may probably explain the cause with my friend's Ge Force 6600 Ultra
But probably this would happen seldom among most of Nvidia's graphics cards
but for me,it's still ok to push on with Nvidia even if taking the risk of getting my graphics card burned up
The cause of that may be:
Upgrading to a much more powerful graphics card (in Nividia only)increases the tendency of burning up if I am correct?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

I should point out that nVIDIA doesn't make any graphics cards. They only make the GPU. The cooling of the graphics card falls on two shoulders. The graphics card maker that makes the card with the cooler and the guy who installs the card in a case, who has to make sure the case is properly cooled.

Cards that use more power are more likely to burn out that cards that use less. That does not necessarily mean higher performance cards. That said, with sufficient cooling the card won't burn out, even if it is a GeForce 8800 Ultra.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

Upgrading to a much more powerful processor increases the tendency of burning up if I am correct?

Or maybe I mixed this statement with processors? :thumbsup:
Anyways,if I can't aim for 8800 Ultra,I may as well stick with the Ge Force 7 series
Which is probably much higher than the Ge Force 6 Series
So pointing out which would be the best AGP graphics card in the Ge Force 7 series(highest performance) would be 7600 GS? I guess...but I'll try looking if there's anything higher than 7600 GS

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

there is a rough correlation between performance and power use and heat output

when you upgrade your video, you have to address both those problems

can your present power supply and case handle them?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

Case:ATX Power Supply 350 watts
Power Supply:Some AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) going to check though
I've heard there is this liquid cooling component which reduces heat somewhere in the CPU
I think it's like an add-on(separate component)or I think it comes with one of the hardwares when bought but I'm not sure what it is nor what it looks like
Any further explanation about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users