Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install Of Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hi all, I previousley posted this prob in hardware then thought it would be better in here, i hope you can help with my problem, i had to install a new HD in my pc because the old one got killed by a boot virus, evrything went great i installed win xp as instructed but i think i might have done something wrong though. When i looked in my computer the HD was named i: ,,, insted of c: this was ok untill i tryed to download some games from real arcade, it keeps saying there is not enough room in the c: drive, which i know because its now called i:. What can i do and do i have to reformat the HD and install xp again, if so how do i get it to name itself c:,,,,,, thanks all ,,,,Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:27 AM

If you're going to install programs from the drive "i" which was formerly known as drive c
you'll have to install the program like this:
i/programfiles/
This also happened similar to me when my drive d was renamed to "drive f" since I reformat my pc to a technician.
probably the only way to revert the changes back to the original drive name would require you to do another reformat then name the drives by its original names or probably other methods are possible aside from my guess...regedit but I'm not sure how..

Edited by Commander Gman, 25 August 2007 - 05:29 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for your reply Gman, i tryed to rename in regedit and droped a clanger, so i reinstalled xp for the 4th time but this time clicked on quick format and installed, low and behold it came up with the hard drive letter of C:
As if by magic all now is rosey in my garden,,, lol... once again thanks for your help.
Regards,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

Oh by the way,take caution in doing regedit be careful for the entries you modify,edit,delete
they could be essential to your system
If they're deleted,edited or modified,your system may not run properly
I didn't knew you were doing the regedit process nor did I asked you to do regedit
Next time,be careful with your pc especially the regedit which makes me worried on the other's safety :flowers:
You're welcome :thumbsup:
CG

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Its ok Gman , i alredy tryed the regedit fix befor your post and knew the concequences of a mistake but the HD is brand new with nothing on it, i read your post of my other pc & looked at the link from there, sorry for getting you worried ,,,, lol
Kind regards ,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi figgis41. More info about your system is needed. I could take a guess what's going on but answering the following questions will nail the problem down.

1) Is your PC a desktop or a laptop ?

2) Do you have "reinstall CDs" or an "XP CD"/"XP Installation CD"/"XP OEM CD", or does the PC have a BIOS program that restores XP ?

3) If you have a desktop, do you have more than one physical hard drive ?

4) Does/do your hard drive(s) have multiple partitions/volumes on them ?

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Sorry for the late reply WinCrazy i've been away, the problem is now ok, i reinstalled xp and this time did a quick format and it installed as C:,,, cant fathom it but i wont complaine,,, thanks for the help,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users