Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filenames For Pictures Changed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

Hello all,
I have a problem with my wife's laptop. She has Windows XP with SP2, and she loves taking pictures. She stores them on an older (3 or 4 yrs.) Dell laptop. She had specific filenames for each picture, to tell who was in it, when it was taken, etc. This evening, when she started looking through her pictures, all the filenames had been switched, appearantly at random. This is her personal laptop, with a password only she knows, that hasn't left the house. Also, nobody has visited recently, and no one can enter when we're not home, so I don't see any way someone could have logged onto her computer and changed these filenames. Besides, there's something like 200 pictures on there.

*ETA* 40 or 50 pictures are completely missing!

Does anyone have any idea how this might have happened? Does anyone know what might be done to fix or prevent this happening again?

Edited by gkazule, 25 August 2007 - 12:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

Could we eliminate the possibility that a recently installed application has caused this change?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi gkazule. Could you give everyone an example of how a file name was changed ? This could be an important clue.

#4 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

The only new apps we have installed were the driver for our new Linksys WirelessN router, and a game called Polar Bowler.

As for how they were changed, they were switched around. (ie, a caption for one pic read "Gary and Donovan", but the pic was one of Donovan's baby pics, and he was the only one in the picture.

Late last night, my wife plugged her printer back into the laptop, and in one of the screens that opened up for the printer, it showed a copy of all of her pictures, with the correct filenames. Could they somehow have been stored in the printer's memory? When she closed the printer window and looked at her pictures in the regular place, they were all messed up again, but she could reopen the printer and copy the files from there into another file on her hard drive.

Edited by gkazule, 25 August 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

I can't explain why the printer application would display different names. If you have a printer that accepts a flash memory card then the card can have another set of the same files, but with different names. This storage typically shows up in Explorer as another drive volume (e.g., D:, E:, F:) the same way as a USB thumb drive. You may have the same pics with different names on both the hard drive and a flash drive. It pays to keep both sets of filenames the same, otherwise you could go crazy trying to sort out the mess !

#6 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Her printer will accept some flash drives, but as far as I know, she hasn't put one in yet. I guess it doesn't matter much, since she was able to find them and save them. Who knows what she might have done. (She definitely has her own way of doing things, and often does things on her computer that make no sense whatsoever to me!) Thanks again for everyone's help, and if I find out anything more, I'll post it here to let you all know. gk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users