Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems With Brand New Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

So, my friend got this really nice computer that he and I are putting together:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.80GHz
Memory: 4GB Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory (4x1gb sticks)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA
Power Supply: Ultra / X3 / 1000-Watt / ATX / SATA-Ready / PCI-E Ready / Modular Power Supply
Video Card: 2 x EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra / 768MB DDR3 running in SLI
Case: Thermaltake Bach VX Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side
Monitor: 22'' Acer Widescreen LCD, 5ms, 700:1, 300cd/m2
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Speakers/Headphones: Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia THX Certified, Steel Series 5H V2 Headphones w/mic
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5 Gaming Laser (2000dpi)
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows XP Home SP2

We started it up with the Windows XP install disc in the first drive, and we got the boot screen, and then it says something along the lines of "No system disk, instert system disk and press enter"

We don't have a floppy disk drive installed. The SATA DVD drives are being found in the BIOS settings as their manufacturer name, so it's finding the drives, but it's not :thumbsup:

Any help here? I know how to do a network install, but I don't have the resources to do it here. This is really a big pain because I want to see this computer in action!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:20 PM

You mention "drives" are you sure that you have the disc in the proper optical drive? Is this drive set as the first device in the boot order?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

We sorta figured it out, sorta.

We installed temporarily an old IDE dvd drive and were able to install Vista.

It still doesn't boot from the SATA disc drives though...

And yes, the boot order was set with CD-ROM then Hard Drive, with the first connected optical drive as the first drive to boot from.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

You likely need to install the SATA drivers for your motherboard's controllers (so that Windows can work with the drives). They should be available from the manufacturer of the motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:47 AM

If you havent done so yet you need to install the SATA drivers that came with the drives BEFORE you install windows.1. Find the drivers for your SATA Copy the files you got to the root directory of a floppy or CD. COPY THE ACTUAL DRIVER FILES AND .INF FILES, NOT THE TXTSETUP.OEM!!! Vista does NOT recognize txtsetup.oem files, or files that are not in the root of a disk for driver detection!!!
Boot from your Vista install DVD.
When you are at the "select where to install Vista" screen, click the driver button, making sure the cd or floppy you made in step 3 is in the drive.
Select the appropriate item from the list of drivers found.

If you selected the correct driver, your SATA drives should now be available to install Vista on. If not, go back and pick a different driver until you do.

From a Google search: Installing Vista on SATA. Link

Edit: 2 Thanks Usasma, Found it when googling :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 August 2007 - 07:56 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

Vista has a little "clicky" thing for loading drivers - but, as with XP, it's not very obvious and easily overlooked.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

Sneakycyber, that would have worked if we could load the cd with the drivers to begin with, and if it were the HDD that we were having problems with. The HDD was found and working perfectly - the problem is the optical drives (and those, other than a network install, would be the only way to get any sort of data onto the HDD).

At any rate, Vista is installed onto our SATA HDD (using the IDE optical drive) and it finds both optical disc drives in Explorer, and they both work. We just can't boot from them.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

Ahh I just noticed that it said IDE DVD drive not IDE HDD. Your right on that one. I will look around for problems with the SATA DVD drives.. What kind of motherboard is it and what kind of drives are they?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

The motherboard is an EVGA 590 SLI Motherboard.

This one.

Last time I checked, the drives were LITE-ON DVD-RAM drives. I'm not sure of the model numbers.

Edited by RADIUM-V Interactive, 27 August 2007 - 11:30 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

My MSI motherboard is a bit finicky with booting from SATA DVD's - it requires that you wait until just a particular moment in time to press the correct key. My workaround is to set the DVD as the first boot device and let it handle it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users