Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Get On The Internet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lizzard

lizzard

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

i have moved recently. i was hooked up to a cable high speed through a router. i have also been hooked up the same way where i have moved to. i thought i was having a problem with the router or hook up. i tried to hook up tonight with a dial up i keep as a spare connection. i found i can't connect at all. i am getting an error mess saying "you had a serious windows error that has been repaired" the it asked me to report the error. then the computer just shuts off and starts to reboot over again. i ahve been trying for hours. i went to a pc help sight i found and got exactly the error problem "solution" to what is happening to me. it didn't work. i am at a stand still. i am computer illiterate. can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

What exactly did the error say?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

if you got your windows xp disc ...run a repair from recovery console
or turn off computer and turn it on and tap F8

select safemode
in safemode do this
Start/run/ chkdsk /r /click ok
then you just restart your computer
it takes awhile for chkdsk to run so be patient

once your computer starts back-up do this

Start/run/ sfc /scannow /click ok

thats your windows protection file
it will fix damaged files

#4 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

thank you mme. i will try it tonight.

#5 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

dc3
it didn't give an error code. it just said "you had a serious windows error and it was repaired" confuses me!

#6 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

dc3-i have a disc that says driver resource, diagnostic tool.
it says hardware manuals and advanced recovery. it also says bootable cd-rom and booting your computer from this cd-rom will allow you to restore your factory installed software from your backup partition. run hardware diagnostics. is this the disc i should run?

#7 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

i tried the chkdsk/r and the sfc/scannow. it came back with "no file by that name??"

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

theres a space between he k and the /

chkdsk/r >>> chkdsk /r

theres a space between he c and the /

sfc/scannow>>> sfc /scannow

#9 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:00 AM

mme ande dc3- i was finally able to the file thing but still can't go on line. everytime i try to use the dial up it says it is connected and the the computer shuts down. i still can't connect with the router either. any ideas?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:21 AM

Look in the event viewer and see what is in there at the time that his happened.

Go to your control panel, administrative tool, and event viewer. When you open the event viewer be sure that the option on the left of the page is system log. At the top of the columns there are titles, the column that you want is event, at the left side of these columns look for a red circle with a white X inside, anything with this is an error. In the event column that has one of these errors you can right click on the event, the choose properties and there will be a description of the error. What do you have listed in there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:31 AM

go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager
any yellow or red marks
right click any yellow mark or red
click uninstall and restart your computer
these drivers will be found and reinstalled
by the computer....

repeat the steps but this time do not uninstall
right click and click update the driver

#12 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:37 AM

i had about 11 saying service cannot be started in safe mode,the last couple said service did not respond to the startor controlrequest in a timely manner and the time out 30000 milliseconds waiting for true vector monitor service to connect. all greek to me!

#13 lizzard

lizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:20 AM

mme- icouldn't find any yellow or red i did come up with the wizzard but windows cannot configure, if i want windows to configure i have to go to microsft knowlege bas, i have tried that abd can't figure it out,it comes up as an article 871122, it says somethong about getting wcz?? don't know how to do it but i did try.

#14 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Preparation to Create a Memory.dmp File
1. Verify that your computer is set to write a Memory.dmp file (in Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the Startup/Shutdown tab).
2. Click to select the Write an event to the system log and Write Debugging information to check boxes.

The box below these two check boxes should read "%SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp."

On the next crash or sudden shut down a blue screen should appear along with it an stop error .....please post the stop error code

also go to event logs
start /run/eventvwr/click ok

in the application right click and clear all events or delete all
at the next crash you are to return to the event log and report the last for events
particularily the event id numbers

post those event id numbers here
along with the stop error code

Edited by mme, 25 August 2007 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users