Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Dvd Stuff

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kjh

kjh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

Its started when I was trying to burn the image of an ISO disc onto a DVD. Here is the step by step of what happened

1. I tried downloading Daemon tools. I authorized vista to do this and that and said yes to norton. It seems though that it failed or it wasnt Daemon at all though I dont know why I downloaded it from the daemon.cc or whatever. Windows firewall alerted me that there was being some changes made to the drivers of my system. Since then I can find neither head nor tail of any traces of daemon on my system though I never did anything after the supposed install.

2. I downloaded a MagicISO and something else with it trying to mount it on a virtual drive. It didnt do what I wanted so I uninstalled both.

Now no PNG images are appearing and the flash player isnt working and I cant update it like it says to dont know if they or any of this is related so I posted it all just in case. I also found a fix for the PNG but I can edit the registry because it is being used by another program but looking at the process tree I cant figure out what.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kjh

kjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

On another interesting note Windows Media Player no longer will start up

#3 kjh

kjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

And yahoo messenger will no longer connect

#4 kjh

kjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Okay I found several problems
mcdbus
stpd (driver)

I was able to remove stpd. Mcdbus is a different story. It seems to be determined to stay put. It says I need permision to remove it? WHAT! Im logged in as an Admin what kind of permission do I need? Safe mode is no help. I cant run my PNG fix there either because there is still something that is using the keys so whatever it is its made its way into the core files. Please help! MCDbus should even be there because I supposedly uninstalled magic disk? Where can I find the process to kill it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:22 AM

IME Vista has proven finicky in how it will adjust to ISO burning software. The Mcdbus error is caused by Magic ISO - removing the program should remove the error. I've tried Active ISO burner, Ultra ISO, and Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder on Vista - some work on some systems, others work on other systems - go figger! :huh:

Remove all the ISO burner stuff and see if that fixes your connection issues and WMP. If not, with them removed, we can start trying to fix them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kjh

kjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

Already "removed it". I uninstalled it using the file found in its program files. Along with Magic Disk. However it appears to have left some traces behind hence why Im having all sorts of problems. I try to remove mcdbus by hand but it says I need permission and I am in a admin account. safe mode doesnt help either. thanks for your time though and any other advice would be welcome. I cant find mcdbus on the process list so how do I kill it? How do I find and remove all the compnents that it may have left behind (MagicIso). I believe this is the first place to start. If I can kill the process or find how to kill it, I can kill its use of the registry keys so I can fix the PNG problem using a tool I found and then delete the process as well.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

As with many other programs, MagicISO probably leaves "stuff" on your hard drive and in your registry when it's uninstalled. Not having used it, I'd still suspect that some of the entries are there to ensure that the software isn't pirated.

To remove the MCDBUS file, navigate to the file itself (I think it's located at: c:\ windows\ system32\ drivers\ mcdbus.sys ). Then right click on it and select Properties. Then select the Security Tab, then the Advanced button, then the Owner Tab, then the Edit button. Double click on your account in the resulting list and then click OK. This should give you ownership of the file and the ability to delete it once you close the dialog.

CAVEAT: The following instructions can really hose your system, necessitating a complete reinstall of the OS and the loss of all your data - be very, very careful!!!

To be more aggressive (and this increases the chances of hosing your system), remove any reference to MagicISO in your the directory structure of your hard drive (backup these items first - and test to ensure that the removal doesn't break something else). Then use a registry repair utility (NOT RECOMMENDED) to scan for orphaned entries (don't "fix" anything but the items related to MagicISO - and be durned careful which one's you do delete! (backup the registry first!!!)

Alternatively, you can try using the last freeware version of Total Uninstall to reinstall the program. It will log all the changes made and will tell you which one's it can't automatically remove (leaving you to remove them). I dunno if it works with Vista tho' - so you'd have to experiment with it or buy the Vista compatible version ( http://www.martau.com/index.php )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

John,
You have never tested Imgburn on vista?, in my opinion it's the safest, best, most powerful burning program that's freeware.
The biggest problem seems to be the compressor used triggers warning or slowdowns with badly written anti-malware programs.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:31 AM

I'm currently using UltraISO on my Vista system (it's also what we use at work) - but it's nagware (dunno if it'll expire) on my home system. I'll give Imgburn a try tho' - sounds interesting! Thanks!

What I'd really like is a free, portable ISO image burning program. I used to use one a while back, but can't recall it's name (it got improved and lost it's functionality in Vista). I haven't looked at it recently tho' - so it may have been fixed.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:55 AM

that funny that you mentioned that, Lightning just added that functionality to ImgBurn

unfortunately we will have to wait for his next beta to go gold

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4725

I've also added a '/PORTABLE' CLI command (and reg setting) for the next version so it will save settings (to an ini file or whatever it's configured to do) but won't touch the file extension stuff (which it normally would regardless) that is always registry based.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

Looks like I've got another tool to add to my arsenal! Thanks DaChew! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users