Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive - Installing Second Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 satnam

satnam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

I wish to add a scond drive and have three questions

1. How do I accuratly identify if my system is IDE or SATA? - (something to do with the number of pins on the ribbon)
2. The ribbon to the existing hard drive does not have a spare connector - it only has one connector. Howver the ribbon to the existing optiocal drive has a spare connector marked slave. Can I connect the second hard drive to the ribbon going to the Optical drive, or do I need to buy a new ribbon with two connectors and connect both hard drives to the same ribbon?
3. What should i look for in terms of compatabilty?

thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

An IDE ribbon is about as wide as your motherboard's main power connector.

Yes, you can run the hard drive as slave.

What do you mean?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

I recommend that you get a new ide cable. Most retail packaged hard drives include one. If you hook up the new hard drive to the slave port on the optical drive cable, the drive will run slow, and won't use its full capabilities. You are looking for UDMA/ATA/IDE hard drives.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

Please tell us the make and model of you computer, if it is a custom build the make and model of the motherboard.

From you description it sounds like you may have a SATA hdd and IDE optical drives.

Edited by dc3, 24 August 2007 - 08:52 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:35 AM

Hi all
the PC is Pressario SR1915AN

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...583&lang=en

very upgradable

sata connectors use small cables, not ribbons

Edited by DaChew, 25 August 2007 - 05:36 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Chewy
I just checked the link you gave me and compared the photos of the MB with the inside of my PC.
My Hard drive and Optical drive is connected to the the IDE1 and IDE2 slot with ribbons. The four SATA slots remain unused

Should I add second drive to the IDE Ribbon as a slave or get a SATA drive and plug into one of the four SATA slots????

also what does it mean in the spec sheet - 'Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive'

see link

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...mp;lang=en#N735

thanks all

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

By all means use those sata connectors, that's a waste putting an ide/pata hard drive into a computer with 4 sata connectors.

Sata by definition is standalone masters(1 drive per connector/cable) none of this sharing data paths(cables) or master/slave/cable select problems of ide.

Always avoid having more than one drive on the same ide cable if they ever have to talk to each other, exchange data.

It's a little like 2 way traffic on a one lane bridge.

when you add a sata drive it may be sata2, there will be a jumper that needs to be set for sata1

Edited by DaChew, 25 August 2007 - 06:07 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

The following images shows the difference between an SATA drive located at the top and below it an IDE drive. You'll notice the difference between the power and comminication connections.

Posted Image

SATA cable below (connect your hard disk to a SATA port on your computer's motherboard)
Posted Image

IDE cable below allowing two IDE devices to be connected e.g hard disk and CD drive
Posted Image
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users